A new Yamaha R7...

Started by DaveH, May 19, 2021, 11:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveH

Or should it be Shamaha aRSed ... https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2021/may/new-yamaha-r7-2022

Nice enough looking bike, but not sure it's worthy of the name - was surprised to see the headline but oh, dear  :(

komp

quite like the look of that actually, apart from the headlight positioning

KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

DaveH

Yeah, I thought it looked good, but then read 689cc and 72.4bhp and that doesn't really sound very R7 like.

It'll give the Ninja 650 a run for it's money looks wise, and maybe performance, and I bet it will be great fun to ride, its just the name that's wrong, needs some sort of demarcation - R7T?

Jarse

A lot of sizzle with limited sausage.

komp

hmm yeah that is a bit strange
i hadn't actually looked at the specs that closely
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Alzo

It's a road in to twin racing for Yamaha ..but I've no idea who it would appeal too...and as you say the R7 deserves a better bike to live up to the historic name.

Green_Ninja

Quote from: Jarse on May 19, 2021, 01:56:32 PMA lot of sizzle with limited sausage.

This, I'm sure it's a decent bike buy R7 it is not.

Manic636

Should not have named it R7 as it will draw too much in the way of comparison which is a shame as it probably is a decently entertaining bike

Dom1

I reckon that will be a fantastic fun bike, the engine is a peach.

What would have made a worthy successor to the R7?

As I recall most people packed the original engine in a box and fitted an R1 engine anyway.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Alzo

Quote from: Dom1 on May 21, 2021, 12:03:59 PMI reckon that will be a fantastic fun bike, the engine is a peach.

What would have made a worthy successor to the R7?

As I recall most people packed the original engine in a box and fitted an R1 engine anyway.
You would have assumed a 750cc inline four....but it's a dying class as is the 600s.

David W

Commuter bike in a party frock.
Call it an MT-Sport or something daft but it's just cashing in on the 'R' brand.
Probably a nice little bike as a step up from the other pretend sportsbikes the manufacturers churn out to people that don't know any better.