fuses - electrical gurus

Started by Pandamonium, September 18, 2014, 01:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandamonium

Ok, so I want to add brighter, white bulbs, to the zx7r. I got some 100w ones, low beam fine, no high. Checked fuse, wires, relay, all seemed fine.
Then found horn didn't work, checked switch gear, all good.
Then checked horn fuse, blown. New fuse in and got horn and hi and low beam on original bulbs.
Havent put new bulbs in in fear of blown fuse.
Now the question, the horn fuse is 10amp, there is a spare 30amp, is it possible to put a higher amp fuse in or will it cause issues elsewhere?
Thanks
Mark

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Not being an electrickery wizard but how does the horn circuit and fuse affect the bulbs and vice versa if they are on a separate circuit? Isn't it a bit like saying that the downstairs lights have blown the fuse so I'll change the fuse in the cooker?

karlv

Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on September 18, 2014, 02:08:00 PM
Not being an electrickery wizard but how does the horn circuit and fuse affect the bulbs and vice versa if they are on a separate circuit? Isn't it a bit like saying that the downstairs lights have blown the fuse so I'll change the fuse in the cooker?

The fuse went on our cooker, turned out it was the landing lights blowing it.

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: karlv on September 18, 2014, 02:13:08 PM
Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on September 18, 2014, 02:08:00 PM

The fuse went on our cooker, turned out it was the landing lights blowing it.

That's Naaarch for ewe.

Pandamonium

I was the same, I don't see how the horn fuse was causing the light issue but it is  :shocked:

Number64

Quick online search: horn & high beam on fuse 1 & headlight on fuse 4 (in Australia...). Both 10A. Unfortunately you've replaced your 2x45W bulbs (7.5A load) with 2x100W bulbs (nearer 17A load). I take it you upgraded the wiring and switchgear, just overlooking the fuses.....
I guess this is why they introduced Part P of the building regs, to protect homes from DIYers....

Pandamonium

Thanks for the reply. No wiring and switchgear all standard, just ordered new bulbs and didn't realise tgey were 100w till I put them in, moment of stupidity thinking cause it says zx7r it will be plug and play and didn't realise to think they may be higher watt, looks like standard will have to go back in

m6rk

100w will melt the bulb holders and put strain on the reg/rec.

if you want super bright then a hid conversion is pretty easy though controversial...

Carbon_ZX6R

as mark said , if they are truly 100w bulbs they will cause you a world of pain an will melt there surroundings
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Pandamonium

Thanks for the reply, back in the box they go.
Don't fancy hid, too much attention etc.
Can't seem to find 45w white bulbs, what's people's thoughts on 55w, still too much?
Ta

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Pandamonium on September 19, 2014, 04:02:01 AM
Thanks for the reply, back in the box they go.
Don't fancy hid, too much attention etc.
Can't seem to find 45w white bulbs, what's people's thoughts on 55w, still too much?
Ta
check what the maximum rated bulb is for that model , personally I wouldn't go above that
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

clipper

Think in UK 55w is OEM standard issue (from memory as am at work)

Pandamonium

The current bulbs are 45w, book says uk models 45w, however European models are 55w and both use 10amp fuse so sure the 55w bulbs would be a safe bet

Carbon_ZX6R

Id say your safe with 55w, I think that's what's in mine
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Pandamonium

Brilliant ta, think ill get some ordered up over next week or so.
Cheers for all the help