Main Menu

Tyre changes

Started by 1-600-matt, October 11, 2015, 10:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-600-matt

Anyone change sports bike tyres at home? What tools do you use and how difficult is it?

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: 1-600-matt on October 11, 2015, 10:40:30 PM
Anyone change sports bike tyres at home? What tools do you use and how difficult is it?
Big arse lever ,a bead breaker , and a balancer , its easy enough to do
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Jonesy

or just pay a tenner to the local tyre fitter.

There's loads of ways on youtube on how to pop a bead off a tyre there's a couple of good ones using timber.

You may need some tyre soap or just use fairy liquid.

if you get a spindle you can use your paddock stand as a balancer.

Given enough time it's easy enough....

Bullet

I keep meaning to order some of these as they look pretty handy in videos ive seen for beadbreaking and levering. fair bit smaller than the normal big old bead breakers and i havent got much space for tools!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121031003327?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

still need a balancer aswell, but you can get ones that sit ontop of a paddock stand to save space too. Infact i might put both of them on my christmas list!

1-600-matt

I don't see the point in a balance that sits in your paddock stand... You need the paddock stand to remove the wheel so it will be in use when you want to balance a wheel!

Jonesy

Quote from: 1-600-matt on October 13, 2015, 11:10:10 AM
I don't see the point in a balance that sits in your paddock stand... You need the paddock stand to remove the wheel so it will be in use when you want to balance a wheel!

unless you are using an Abba stand.

Or you could use the front stand?!

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

1-600-matt

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on October 13, 2015, 01:23:28 PM

bead breaker
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-Motorcycle-Bike-Portable-Wheel-Tyre-Changer-Bead-Breaker-Mount-/361016750614?hash=item540e467216

So presumably the wheel sits down with the rim over the round tube with spokes resting on the tube. If you had carbon fibre wheels would you want to break the bead in this way?

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: 1-600-matt on October 13, 2015, 01:48:00 PM
Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on October 13, 2015, 01:23:28 PM

bead breaker
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-Motorcycle-Bike-Portable-Wheel-Tyre-Changer-Bead-Breaker-Mount-/361016750614?hash=item540e467216

So presumably the wheel sits down with the rim over the round tube with spokes resting on the tube. If you had carbon fibre wheels would you want to break the bead in this way?
with carbon fibre wheels id ideally want a highly trained insured professional to change it , but ive done carbon wheels on them without a problem in the past ( I do have hard rubber on mine) but the principals the same
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods