Straight Answer on PAT Testing

Started by Nat, August 13, 2013, 10:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nat

We're a small office and don't have an awful lot of equipment and to be honest, even though it's not my money, I don't want the company to be screwed over when it comes to PAT testing.

According to the HSE website, not all equipment needs to be PAT tested yearly.  Most people think you do, and a lot of electricians would let you.  As far as I can see, you don't have to test new equipment, and with some 'low risk' items, you can only have them tested 5-yearly, for example.  They say a visual inspection by a competent member of staff can be sufficient.  Is it sufficient to download a 'visual inspection' guide and follow that?

We've got the usual - computers, printers, microwave and fridges.  The 'worst' items we have I think are the laptops (they get moved a lot), the extension leads (plugging/unplugging of items), and the routers/switches etc (on all the time).

Does anyone here know for certain what's sufficient (not just googling it like I did)?

Thanks for any help...
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General Keller

ash

komp

yep big al is your man, he helped me out in the past Re PAT testing

basically you are right a "competent" member of staff can do it
i think our office required it every 2 years, it depends on the type of equipment and access to public etc
we purchased our own pat tester and some stickers, followed the guidelines provided by Al and have been doing it ever since

i also did all the PAT testing at my old bar myself too

not sure i still have what he sent me, but ill take a look in my archives
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

monkeyb0b

Been away from it for a while but the last time I went through pat testing with the site sparky kit got tested every 2 years regardless of what it was. Also all IT kit (including new) wasn't allowed into the office \ factory areas without it. To be honest the best time to test it is when it's new as it is the easiest time to get to the plugs usually :tongue: