Turning into a VFR400 restoration project

Started by 1-600-matt, May 18, 2014, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-600-matt

So laying for over a year with no use and a rotted out exhaust joint and in need of a general service I got the track bike work out of he way and set to work digging the VFR out of the corner of the garage!!

The main jobs I wanted to do: valve clearances, remove restrictor kit, replace exhaust, check and lube suspension linkages, replace fork springs and an oil change.

Fairings off and I start to remember how hard it is to work on cos it's so tight and small. Lower rad looks well manky, so that needs a clean up at least.

To get half a chance of getting near the rear exhaust joint the right foot peg and hanger needed to come off, it's rusting nicely at the back and the front is starting to go as well, so that will need a good clean, treated and painted.

Getting to the exhaust and unbolting it was still proving difficult and it didn't want to round off any nuts, so I took the tail off!!

That let me get to the exhaust easily. And showed up a bit of an oil leak, seems to be from the rear rocker cover seal, so it will want replacing.

Swing arm may as well come out now to check the numerous bearings and slap some fresh grease in there... But haven't got there yet.

Turn my attention back to the engine to get the carbs off. Plenty of little bits in the way to get them released and a screw holding the air box onto the carbs was nicely rounded by the previous owner, so it needed drilling out. But I got there... A nice banging hangover hasn't helped today, but here is the restrictor plates.

The hoses are 22 years old and a few joints are furring up a bit, so I will stick a set of hoses on it while I have it stripped down. Has developed into a right little project. Next up, restrictor plates out, then rocker covers off and do some valve clearance checking. Best get a tea brewed and get back to it.

1-600-matt

So what would you lot advise to do with this rad?

Green_Ninja

soak it for a while and then if you are careful you can use a ziptie to clean out between the fins DO NOT use anything metal and don't be tempted to pressure wash it either as you'll just bend all the fins.

1-600-matt

Quote from: Green_Ninja on May 18, 2014, 06:32:25 PM
soak it for a while and then if you are careful you can use a ziptie to clean out between the fins DO NOT use anything metal and don't be tempted to pressure wash it either as you'll just bend all the fins.

Would jizer or such a degreaser be of any use on it? Or just leave it in some water?

Green_Ninja

I'd just try washing up liquid and let it soak if you can find something big enough to submerge it in, you need to try and soften the muck.

1-600-matt

Quote from: Green_Ninja on May 18, 2014, 07:33:27 PM
I'd just try washing up liquid and let it soak if you can find something big enough to submerge it in, you need to try and soften the muck.

Having looked again, I think the rad in front of the fan has been leaking... Crystals in between the fins... Looks like it has been weeping!!

Green_Ninja

Quote from: 1-600-matt on May 18, 2014, 07:53:07 PM
Quote from: Green_Ninja on May 18, 2014, 07:33:27 PM

Having looked again, I think the rad in front of the fan has been leaking... Crystals in between the fins... Looks like it has been weeping!!

in that case new/recond rad required probably

1-600-matt

So today in work I learn that the labs have a nice shot blaster, ultrasonic cleaner and can do nickel plating!! I think I will be taking some of the little bits and pieces that are rusting into the labs for some treatment.

The steering stem is starting to rust so I may take that all apart and shot blast it and clean it all up.

The rocker covers are finally off.

1-600-matt

So I'm gonna say this is more of a restoration than just getting it through MOT!!

So valve clearances are done, 9 of them needed changing, glad I checked.

Now the swing arm is out so I can clean up many years of grime!!

Fairly dirty...

And part cleaned...

So I notice the brake disc carriers are needing a tidy up!! Anyone repainted or cleaned discs up before? What's the best way to do it??

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: 1-600-matt on May 26, 2014, 08:48:51 PM
So I notice the brake disc carriers are needing a tidy up!! Anyone repainted or cleaned discs up before? What's the best way to do it??

you could do what my dad did and simply liberally apply black spray paint to the entire disk/wheel/bike and let the brake pads do the hard work.

but he is a fucking idiot.

1-600-matt

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on May 27, 2014, 07:40:28 AM
Quote from: 1-600-matt on May 26, 2014, 08:48:51 PM

you could do what my dad did and simply liberally apply black spray paint to the entire disk/wheel/bike and let the brake pads do the hard work.

Thanks... I might not bother with that idea!

Phil_8

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on May 27, 2014, 07:40:28 AM

Hahaha. Genius!

Kath600

Cos revamped my VFR400 a few years ago.

The thread must be lurking somewhere.

Could be of help to you possibly  :cool:

1-600-matt

Quote from: Kath600 on May 31, 2014, 02:55:01 PM
Cos revamped my VFR400 a few years ago.

The thread must be lurking somewhere.

Could be of help to you possibly  :cool:

I remember that, will have a look for that later on.

Just getting the rear hub apart at the minute.