Project Peej - Yamaha R46

Started by PJ, August 16, 2014, 08:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

Well, as some of you on Facebook know I sold the R1, I suppose I should explain why as a few have asked. It had nothing to do with whether or not I could afford to keep it, just simply that paying it off each month seeing it sat outside not being used much made my wallet slightly vomit and every trackday I did on it I couldn't get comfy with riding it how I used to with my Gixxer. The fun per £ ratio was all wrong, as much as I loved it. So it's gone.

I then pondered if I wanted a trackbike or something tatty for the road. Anyway long story short I ended up with a Cat C salvage bike which me and Steff did a 400mile round trip to Surrey today to collect.

The bike is a 2005 (on a 56 plate) Yamaha R6 but it is the limited edition Rossi 46 version. It had been written off and sold off to me but I was impressed with how much bike I got for the money.

Lets start with the good :

7850 miles from new
2 previous owners
Full service history
2 nearly new Diablo Corsa 3's fitted
3 keys including the red one plus a Datatool S4.....urgh
Structurally sound
Scottoiler fitted so chain etc is mint
MOT till May 2015
Radial caliper/USD fork version

Now the bad :

Every panel including the tank has some sort of damage with the nose cone fairing taking the brunt
The special Termignoni exhaust is possibly damaged beyond repair but we shall see
Crash bung on RHS is bent badly
One of the headlights is scratched a little too bad to repair which is a shame as its all one unit I think
Fairing brace snapped off (but the lugs on the headstock are intact and not bent
RHS clip on snapped
Front brake lever snapped
A few other bits

Basically my thoughts are, see if I can get it back on the road at minimal cost which shouldn't be hard, and use it as a weekend infrequent toy that owes me nothing realistically but mainly a track toy that I won't be worried about if I bin. Or, if the parts start to mount up for the road I shall just stick some track fairings on and I have myself a very sound trackbike for sub-2K.

Here's some pics I took once I got it home and washed it quickly :

And here is the first run of it once I had charged the battery up :

https://www.youtube.com/v/X3DgqTqAVXE

So far I have removed the top pieces of the side fairings, managed to remove the bent crash bung and removed the original rubber brake lines and Y-piece.

Parts list for the short term is :

RHS clip on
RHS footpeg
Rear brake lever
LHS footpeg
LHS R&G (or pair)
Front brake lever
Screen
Nose cone
LHS rubber air intake pipe
RHS mirror

I'm under no illusions, if I manage to get it back on the road it will look tatty and worn but underneath will be a very low mileage sorted bike so I couldn't care less!

It looks like the previous owner had a lowside but the tyres are literally almost brand new, not even scrubbed in anywhere near the edges (which are still shiny) but there is some blueing on the rear which makes me wonder if he binned it on a trackday without scrubbing them in properly....

:)

Alzo

It fits your requirements perfectly...and you can sort it at your leisure...it's all good.  :moto:

MOzZereLLa

Agreed.

Looks bloody good for the cash.

Are the forks and frame etc straight??
Significantly faster than you.....

PJ

Seems to be mate, all looks solid and sturdy so just the plastics and other bits and bobs to sort :)

DaveH

Nice 1  :moto:

Enjoy the bike and getting it on the road/track  :cool: :afro:

Does it really matter about the scratches on the head light, not part of the beam pattern?

PJ

Quote from: DaveH on August 16, 2014, 10:41:07 PM
Does it really matter about the scratches on the head light, not part of the beam pattern?

Not sure mate will have to see if I can sand them out carefully but not sure if they obstruct the beam or not.

So far I have ordered :

HEL braided lines and banjo's for the front
Renthal Medium Grips
RHS wing mirror
RHS wing mirror rubber "spacer" and metal collars
RHS footpeg
RHS foot brake lever
RHS clipon
Rubber air intake pipes
Fairing/screen brace
Top engine mount bolt

:)

komp

looks like a shit load of work
have fun :)

i reckon you might just get away with that headlight
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

PJ

Quote from: komp on August 18, 2014, 10:36:57 AM
looks like a shit load of work

With all the parts I could have it back on the road in 1 day (weather permitting).

:moto:

Coxy

Nice one. I look forward to the progress updates and you caning the fuck outta of it and grinning from ear to ear.

PJ

Quote from: Coxy on August 18, 2014, 11:26:06 AM
Nice one. I look forward to the progress updates and you caning the fuck outta of it and grinning from ear to ear.

Thanks Andy! Hoping to have the clip on and the brake lever/lines before the end of the week so I can at least "ride" it to make sure everything is ok.

PJ

The first of many eBay deliveries....

Andy M

good project that mate, had one of those for years as a track bike.

PJ

PJ

Quote from: Andy M on August 19, 2014, 10:59:55 AM
good project that mate, had one of those for years as a track bike.

Thanks mate, I reckon it's gonna turn out to be a stonking bike :)

Andy M

It just used to rev and rev, was great fun more of a laugh than the 06 onwards r6. its one I should have kept hold of really. aftermarket suspension was well worth the investment think I had Maxton on it.