Pillion kids

Started by idris, March 14, 2014, 06:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idris

Does anyone have any actual experience of getting their kids on the back of their bike? Mine's almost big enough and definitely keen so I'm just trying to plan ahead.
Lids n leathers? Pillion handle belts? Intercoms? etc?

(I've "had it up to here" with opinions of people who think they know better but have absolutely no experience so I thought I'd ask round here!)

captain sensible

Baby biker do a range of kids clothing and they will also part exchange clothes against the larger sizes when they need them, most larger bike shops do stock a range of great that will fit,  but most kids stuff that I have found is for off road use.

Now I've taken my son pillion a few times for short runs,  and I'm looking at getting a belt that week clip the pair off us together for added safety while riding along,  but aside from that add long add he reaches the pegs and can hold on he is quite happy to jump on

One thing I would say is if you get a chance, giving them small trips (one end of the drive to the other type thing) gives them a good idea of the basics. And also means that they can get a feel for being pillion on the move.
Now with 100% more sarcasm.

ash

I did thousands of miles with my kids when they were young *youngest was about 7, but only did short trips into town with her, Both feet need to be firmly on the pegs when they are sat down. Eldest was about 9 and went all over the country with me.

Don't bother with the 'pillion belts', I bought some 'love handles' and they are rubbish, get one of these hydration packs or a similar rucksack as they are a better anchor to grab onto, and don't swivel as they tie across the waist and chest making them very stable.

Evil636

I take my lad on the back only a few journeys up to now but others are interested aswell. My daughter is very keen but just got to get her the gear. My lad was 7 and he had no trouble with pegs etc. Although he did keep slipping forward at first which wasn't pleasant on the plums.

Brian

If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning.

ash

idris

I know being able to reach the pegs is the primary concern, but when did y'all first get your kids on the back. How did they cope at that age in terms of maturity?

Any thoughts on intercoms? Was conversation any harder than with an adult pillion?

ash

It depends on the kid. If they are adrenaline junkies, then they will enjoy it. If they are shrinking violets, they won't.
How old are yours ?

idris

She's just about to turn 6.
Sometimes she likes thrills. Sometimes she doesn't.

Her legs aren't quite long enough yet (she can just about get the balls of her feet on the pegs), maybe in 6 months, but I'm just trying to plan ahead.

ash

She needs to be able to stand on the pegs before taking her on the back. I'd then limit the rides to the end of the road or around the block until she is a bit older, and be nice and gentle on the brakes and gas.

idris

I'm aware she still needs to grow a bit and have every interest in not scaring her.
I guess my next biggest concern is that she'll do what she's told and hang on!

ash

You will know better than any one else how mature she is.  If in doubt,  wait !

smarty156

Is there a minimum age limit on pillions?

captain sensible

As long as they can reach the pegs and can hold on its all good as far as I'm aware
Now with 100% more sarcasm.