2005 r1..

Started by m6rk, November 27, 2015, 11:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m6rk

who's owned one? any comments welcome.. even carbon's i suppose...

Gilby104

Never owned or ridden one but my opinion at the time was that they were very cool but ugly front end.... my opinion has changed over time to thinking they are still very cool but an awesome looking front end....

do it!

(N.B. I have heard various tails of Yamaha R6 / R1's of that era blowing up gear boxes if my memory serves me - might be worth a check into)

m6rk

I'm talking about this model btw..

tucola

I had an 06, which was essentially the same bike with minimal changes - slightly longer swing-arm I think.

I liked it.

Looked nice. Comfortable and solid on the motorway. Got around Snetterton and Donington reasonably well. Not as light and sharp as the 675 Daytona I replaced it with. Ultimately the Daytona was more my sort of thing.

MOzZereLLa

I test rode one (funny ol thing) and really liked it.

Rock solid, good handling and comfy.
Significantly faster than you.....

m6rk

Alzo

I had a 2007 R1 that looked similar but had the 4 valve engine as opposed to the 5 valve engine...but also owned a 2003 R1 and an FZ1N both with 5 valve engines...the 2007 R1 was and still is a quality stunning looking bike...quick if a little revvy for a litre bike...handled well...got a little hot around the arse and thighs in traffic...brakes need looking after if they are to perform to their maximum...strip and clean.
Again a mention to build quality...imo they were the last of the well built bikes...after this everything got real flimsy.l

tucola

QuoteAs much as I liked the daytona, I dont think they liked me very much!

Should've bought a decent one... wasn't someone selling one on here at one point?

;)

komp

was always very fond of the gun metal grey version
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Bullet

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on November 27, 2015, 12:02:33 PM
I test rode one (funny ol thing) and really liked it.

Rock solid, good handling and comfy.

Same here  :azn: tested an 03 and wasnt a big fan, then an 05  and loved it, handled great and fixed everything i didn't like about the 03, but I couldn't really afford it sadly so ended up getting the SP1 which was completely differant to either of them  :laugh:

PJ

I had the 07/08, loved the look, engine was impressive at full chat but not particularly memorable, heard the earlier ones had more character.

Dom1

Had domjfan's one in my garage for a winter while he was overseas.

Occassionally needed starting and perhaps a nip up and down the bypass to check it still worked.

It did.

I also favour the gunmetal grey option, although the finish did not hold up great as I recall.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

WizzBang

I had a mint 05 in blue for a number of years, only sold it as I wasn't road riding anymore.

To me it's the perfect sportsbike for the road.  It's got more room than most in class, so it's easy to get comfortable.  Really strong engine and gearbox, although the engine lacks 'character' but is smooth and very quick to rev, but doesn't spike like the early carb'd bikes did.  Brakes are awesome.

The bike I bought was so good that the only thing I did to it, from a completely standard base, was to swap out the 2 end cans for something a little noiser for more presence, only other thing I ended up doing was a seat cowl and removing the rear pegs which cleaned up the lines on the back.

Fitted Michelin Road 2s when the OE Dunlops wore out,  and they lasted well, gripped great and made me a lot more confident on the bike.

The bike was pretty good on fuel with around 140 mile range, even when frapping it.

My bikes have always lived outstide and under a cover, and the R1 survived 5 winters without furring up at all, that's 5 more than Kwak or Zuki, even better than Honda.

If I was going to get another sportsbike for road use, then I wouldn't hesitate to get another.