Is there such a thing as a cheap dirt bike

Started by Jimhas7, December 25, 2021, 05:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimhas7

Been looking for a while, can't seem to find anything half decent even a project below 2K, everything starts at 2K and is often listed well north of 3K.

Am I living a pipe dream or are all the enduro, mx dirt bikes now in so much demand that that's the going rate  and il have to rethink my objectives 😭

Alzo

Quote from: Jimhas7 on December 25, 2021, 05:17:34 PMBeen looking for a while, can't seem to find anything half decent even a project below 2K, everything starts at 2K and is often listed well north of 3K.

Am I living a pipe dream or are all the enduro, mx dirt bikes now in so much demand that that's the going rate  and il have to rethink my objectives 😭
Covid has seen the 2nd hand market in all sectors rise.

Jimhas7

Most bikes seem way too expensive for what you get for your money. I can't see it changing anytime soon either

Andy M

Jimhas7

Me and my mate have been considering doing some green lane riding, we're on a tight budget though as it dents the euro track day kitty.

I've been tracking anything and everything, the ktm exc seems to be the most popular but don't feel ready to throw upwards of 2.5k/3K at a dirt bike 🤷‍♂️

Might just do some more day trips in Spain if travel is good this year as done one before and loved it.

MOzZereLLa

They've always been £2.5k+ for a decent well looked after EXC. it's not just a new thing. Decent quality Enduro bikes aren't cheap. You might find older DRs etc a little cheaper but they'll be heavier and not as capable.

I'm pretty sure I was paying £3-4K for a low hours EXC450 back in 2003-05.

Significantly faster than you.....

Jimhas7

Sounds reasonable, I reckon I will see where I'm at after my next euro excursion.

Jimhas7

Quote from: MOzZereLLa on January 08, 2022, 07:51:29 AMThey've always been £2.5k+ for a decent well looked after EXC. it's not just a new thing. Decent quality Enduro bikes aren't cheap. You might find older DRs etc a little cheaper but they'll be heavier and not as capable.

I'm pretty sure I was paying £3-4K for a low hours EXC450 back in 2003-05.

What models should I be looking at, seen a few WR 400's they look good, are there any others to look out for?

Or is it just about the exc now?

Dom1

Depends.

What do you want to do with it?

If its enduros then EXC, WR or CRF but consider the maintenance, you will get what you pay for, cheap usually means thrashed with a new sticker kit. If its green laning DR/XR/TTR are heavier, getting a bit old now but still very capable and cheap to buy and maintain. DRZ/CRFL are more modern equivalents.

Generally you have a fair bit of road to link up a decent lane route so don't forget some comfort and grunt for that bit.

I loved my DR but had to sell it to afford my T700. I was better/braver off road on the DR but the T700 is nearly as good and much much better on the road sections.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Jimhas7

That helpful thank you.

Trying to find info on the local lanes, roads and tracks is. It proving easy. If I can find enough to justify then I'll pull the pin so to speak on a bike around 2.5k to 3K no problem. But finding where to use it first is my next step.

Any one know any groups worth joining to check out the trails, feel free to point me in the general direction  :rofl:

Dom1

Trail Rider Fellowship - They know every lane and its legal standing.

Costs about £50 per year but I see that as an investment in fighting the legal battles to keep lanes open. Also you get a half decent magazine.

Local groups will offer to take you out and you can build up your knowledge from there.

Don't expect to be thrashing along like a race though.

How you ride after you start going out on your own is up to you, but really the lanes need riding with respect and caution or they will just get closed.

Too many dogs, walkers, small children on unpredictable ponies to ride fast. You can always enter an enduro if that is your bag.

Good job cos I am dog slow.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP