a question about confidence on bikes

Started by captain sensible, June 12, 2014, 10:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucola

Quote...understanding whats safe and whats not at a given speed

If not free instruction from No Limits, what's your recommendation for how to learn this, starting, say, from a novice group at a track day sort of level?

Not being facetious. Serious question.

Stuno1

As already stated track days give you massive confidence in your bike which is what it comes down to. You need to understand the it's of your bike and push it. Until you understand your bikes limits you will have no idea how far you can push it.

Get on track and go out of your comfort zone a tad.
[/

David W

Do a proper school.  California Superbike School is great.  Seems expensive but you'll get more out of a day learning a system with a proper instructor than doing Trackdays listening to well intentioned advice from people hanging around you.

mc101

Quote from: David W on June 13, 2014, 06:36:04 AM
Do a proper school.  California Superbike School is great.  Seems expensive but you'll get more out of a day learning a system with a proper instructor than doing Trackdays listening to well intentioned advice from people hanging around you.

+1

Whilst I'm not a fan of the CSS process per se, serious tuition is an order of magnitude better than the bulk of trackday instructors.

So in the UK that means CSS, Mike Edwards, one or two of the FE instructors, notably Andy Pitt and depending on your level Haslams elite school.  In Europe Crafar every day of the week.

2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

mc101

Quote from: Stuno1 on June 12, 2014, 09:16:27 PM

Recipe for disaster...

mc101

Quote from: tucola on June 12, 2014, 08:01:09 PM
Quote...understanding whats safe and whats not at a given speed

If not free instruction from No Limits, what's your recommendation for how to learn this, starting, say, from a novice group at a track day sort of level?

Not being facetious. Serious question.

See below fella.

If people spent time in coaching and less time worrying about the bling most would be a lot faster and a lot safer.  The biggest issue I observe is that people ride at a decent level but do it in a high risk way - trying to find speed in the wrong places.  Not using the track to their advantage etc.... These are basic skills that push the safety envelope out and allow you to develop speed safely in as low a risk manner as possible.

If you don't get the basics right, as you get faster the risks increase considerably. 

0luke0

I looked in to getting some tuition with Mike Edwards but for Brands or Snetterton it was £750 on top of the track day

Dom1

He does protect his pupils if Oulton was anything to go by.

Not wanting to shove between him and his pupil, who was too slow for the group, meant trying to pass both of them cleanly which was easier said than done as Mike placed himself to prevent any passing unless you went way off line at each corner.

It did get frustrating, but then again if I was quicker I could have passed easier and he did wave me past on one ocassion.

I am surprised that an experienced instructor did not appreciate the speed difference between his pupil and the rest of the group and move the pair of them down.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Gobert

Part of the reason for where he positions himself is that he's filming the entire session to provide feedback.

Not really any different than coming across any 2 bikes riding closely to each other at a similar pace?

As far as the op goes, seat time on familiar roads would be a good start. Even novice group track time wouldn't help unless you are confident.

Some road based training from a experianced instructor might be another option?

Dom1

Maybe I was just being too polite not wanting to get between them.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Gobert

That's a good attitude to have on a track day.

Stuno1

Quote from: mc101 on June 13, 2014, 06:52:04 AM
Quote from: Stuno1 on June 12, 2014, 09:16:27 PM

Recipe for disaster...

Haha... Could be. Worked for me though.
[/

Gilby104

Quote from: tucola on June 12, 2014, 05:38:24 PM
I've said this before.

But doesn't the "I'm with stupid" arrow mean "the person at whom this arrow is pointing is stupid"?

Rather than "I agree with the person at whom this arrow is pointing"?

It comes from those T-shirts that they had years ago.

Please don't reply to this post with the "I'm with stupid" arrow...

:sign5:    :tongue:

Gobert

:iamwithstupid:

I think that's the correct way to use it?