a question about confidence on bikes

Started by captain sensible, June 12, 2014, 10:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain sensible

Something I've noticed when I'm riding is that  during corners I just can't seem to lean much,  a bit like a mental block.

Has anyone had this and what did you do to over come it?

Now with 100% more sarcasm.

MOzZereLLa

Significantly faster than you.....

Nat

I'm a fan of the track day route.  You WILL lean over more on a track day as there's no-one coming the other way, no cars parked around the corners etc - when you get on the road you will remember what you and the bike are capable of doing.

I've never been good on corners but because I've not been out much over the last 2 years I'm getting worse, so I know it's time to book a track day.  Chicken strips on road - about 3 inches each side, on the track bike it's been 0.5cm!
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General Keller

Lord Danoir the first

Confidence comes from understanding what the bike's doing and more importantly, what it's going to do.

Whilst I'm sure Moz's comment is purely flippant (and he is a riding god), it's more than just getting a set of balls and riding on blind faith.

Track days are ace because you can block out overwhelming dangers and focus. You need to feel the bike and understand what grip feels like, it's difficult to explain but going out on roads you're very familiar with will help a lot.

Boils down to confidence and you can't beat getting miles under your belt for that.

Dom1

Listen to Moz he rode for a British Supersport team.

Slow down to go fast, is what I was told. Not great at following the advice but it is true if you knock the speed off 10mph then you relax and it all goes easier and you build up speed as a result.

I also used to do no-brakes rides every now and again to improve my anticipation and corner speed. Did help that I was on a mille with massive engine braking.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Alzo

Different riding styles come in to play...for the roads slow in fast out will generally mean you live longer...big speeds and massive lean angles equal blind faith...tracks...practice...confidence...the Manning up comment is typical bravado.

monkeyb0b

Could it be a tyres thing? i.e. your on super sticky tyres that just don't warm up enough?

ash

My chicken strippage has grown inversely with the state of the roads around this way...they are totally shit with huge potholes, tar and chippings resurfacing bodged repairs to potholes which they don't bother to seal the edges. They inspire no confidence at all :(

Carbon_ZX6R

I ride differently depending on the value of the bike im riding the cheaper the more aggressive and more speed
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gilby104

Quote from: captain sensible on June 12, 2014, 10:24:12 AM
Something I've noticed when I'm riding is that  during corners I just can't seem to lean much,  a bit like a mental block.

Has anyone had this and what did you do to over come it?

If it's only sometimes or in certain situations its probably your self preservation gene kicking in..... I wouldn't go any quicker if I were you!

Of my little group of mates who used to go out regularly and we have been away a lot I was easily slowest of the pack when I wasn't feeling comfortable. As soon as i can see what I am doing, the road is right etc etc I am among the quickest. It's either the bike or your mind telling you that's enough and it's probably worth listening.

The track was a different story though...... Neil, Dom and Stuno will vouch for me being slow and steady.... but spent the whole day completely excited about lean angles and tearing up the edges of tyres.... and generally gurning like a loon! Get on it!

Gobert

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on June 12, 2014, 12:08:27 PM
I ride differently depending on the value of the bike im riding the cheaper the more aggressive and more speed

I see a lot of people like you at track days................normally getting a ride in the van of shame.............

captain sensible

Thanks for the response guys,  the track days route is something that I want to explore but ive been tempted with the tuition aspects that are available,  places like the californian superbike school and the ron haslam race school seem to be the two that people talk about the most so I've considered both but I've been put off by prices for what It would take to complete the levels.

Does anyone know of any other places to go and get advice from?

And as for Manning up/growing a set of balls,  I've done my biological duties and therefore they are just there for aesthetic value.
Now with 100% more sarcasm.

Gilby104

having been blessed with almost no natural talent or ability on a bike.... but having done a track day... I'd say just jump on an easy to learn track an and have a bash Cpt! You'll have a blast and no doubt quickly get a feel for what you want to work on. IMO it's definitely worth testing the water.

the invisible dog

Have a read of the "Twist of the Wrist" books
Not the easiet to digest but lots in there once you've got your head round Keith Code's writing style
Schools are good but a beginners group at a good trackday will do wonders, especially if you collar an instructor for some pointers
Would recommend a hire bike too so you don't need to worry about your own shiny bike and can concentrate solely on riding
Can seem expensive but as it includes set-up, tyres, fuel, etc...  ;)