R1200GS ... Frightfully brilliant

Started by mc101, March 16, 2021, 05:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc101

So I borrowed a 2006 one of these from my pal Phil Seton last Summer ... excellent bike, went around the UK, did some BSB trips and even popped in Europe for a couple of days.  Used it for the odd pop to meetings and even kitted myself out (thanks RST) in the appropraite "touring" kit (got the race bike for my other half of riding)

I decided that I'd take the plunge and bike a road bike, my youngest is now at an age where she can pillion, my partner loves it and my teenager (well shes a teenager and we'll leave that parked for the moment).

Collected the 2014 R1200 GS TE with a few trinkets last weekend from a close(ish) dealer, immaculate condition, FSH and the new LC version with 125BHP... hustles along aroun my local B roads... 

When Phil said to me in 2019 - you wont ever want a different road bike I thought - bullshit ... He was right they do everything well, and Im not sure I could hustle the £30K race bike along the B roads any quicker than I can the R1200 .... So ... go try one, theres a reason they are the most successfull selling big bike ove the last 20 years - they are AWESOME. My other half fell asleep on the back coming bback from Oulton last year lol  We've had knee down, toured two up plus 30KG of travel luggage, pulled into some awefully pleasant hotels on it.  What a machine, congrats BMW.
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Enjoy. May you have many happy and safe miles.

Jarse

Enjoy.

Adventure bikes are the future, apart from for Moz 👍🏻

Alzo

I had a 2017 Triple Black TE for 10 months...did 12k miles on it...and I can't disagree with anything you say...its a great all rounder...the performance is the same solo...two up...or laden with luggage.
I should have kept mine.

Green_Ninja

Quote from: Alzo on March 17, 2021, 04:04:48 PMI had a 2017 Triple Black TE for 10 months...did 12k miles on it...and I can't disagree with anything you say...its a great all rounder...the performance is the same solo...two up...or laden with luggage.
I should have kept mine.

Was it a keeper .................

David W

Some of them look a bit enormous with the wardrobes fitted but I do have a Honda Africa Twin itch I'd like to scratch one day!

Alzo

Quote from: Green_Ninja on March 18, 2021, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: Alzo on March 17, 2021, 04:04:48 PMI had a 2017 Triple Black TE for 10 months...did 12k miles on it...and I can't disagree with anything you say...its a great all rounder...the performance is the same solo...two up...or laden with luggage.
I should have kept mine.

Was it a keeper .................
They all were.

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Jarse on March 16, 2021, 07:53:56 PMEnjoy.

This is true - they are boring as fuck
Significantly faster than you.....

Dom1

Quote from: MOzZereLLa on March 18, 2021, 09:38:42 PM

I'd call that pilot error.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

PJ

Have to admit if you ignore my "quality" issues I've had with mine, I didn't really think going from a 2016 Triumph Explorer to to the 2019 1250GSA would be much of a difference, I mean, they are both touring/adventure bikes of the same size. But I was wrong, yeah sure the GS initially was frustrating for me but that was largely the bullshit with BMW UK than the bike itself, which aside from the new engine shenanigans has been utterly flawless to ride.

Did 2600miles last August with Steff, fully laden in blistering heat and it was a joy to ride. I'm not a quick road rider anyway, but I'm sure that I wouldn't have been muscling it around the roads any quicker if it had been a brand new S1000RR so for me it's the perfect road bike for my needs.

It is a bit of a heavy lump at a standstill though.

Lord Danoir the first

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Dom1 on March 19, 2021, 07:48:42 AM

I'd call that pilot error.

this pilot makes no errors.
Significantly faster than you.....

Jarse

mc101

Quote from: David W on March 18, 2021, 01:59:40 PMSome of them look a bit enormous with the wardrobes fitted but I do have a Honda Africa Twin itch I'd like to scratch one day!

Do it mate definitely the way forward with road riding these days I think
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Andy M

I dont want to try one for the very reason you have set out, I'm going to leave the GS for when i am the wrong side of 40 and need panniers to cart my pills, thermos and flash around with me