Oil filter

Started by zxrob, December 23, 2018, 06:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zxrob

Ok folks

Your opinions, any advantage using a K & N, I've always used Hi-flo or is it just personal choice

Cheers Rob

David W

OE for me.  See no point buying anything else.

Green_Ninja

Thegodfather

I've used Hi Flo for years with no issues. I was put off K&N a couple of years ago as there were some dodgy ones causing problems.

Carbon_ZX6R

Always used known brands and never had problems ,
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

zxrob

As always, different opinions

I,ll put a hi flo on, been using them for years, never had a problem

Rob

1-600-matt

I do see lots of comments of people saying only to do them up hand tight... my b1 specifies torque to about 30Nm... so I personally think a lot of the issues... and I have seen pictures where o-rings have popped out of the filter housing... are due to incorrect fitting... just not fucking tight enough to keep the seal within its recess. I have used k&n, oem, hiflo... even have tightened some up using the nut on the front that lots of people say should never be used!!

Green_Ninja

Quote from: 1-600-matt on December 28, 2018, 12:43:54 AM
I do see lots of comments of people saying only to do them up hand tight... my b1 specifies torque to about 30Nm... so I personally think a lot of the issues... and I have seen pictures where o-rings have popped out of the filter housing... are due to incorrect fitting... just not fucking tight enough to keep the seal within its recess. I have used k&n, oem, hiflo... even have tightened some up using the nut on the front that lots of people say should never be used!!

actuaally it's more likely for the o ring to be displaced if it's fitted dry, always put a nice smear of clean oil on the o ring before fitting and all should be fine. 30nm isn't a high torque and to be fair I have fitted filters 'hand tight' in the past and never had an issue.

1-600-matt

Quote from: Green_Ninja on December 28, 2018, 04:26:30 PM
Quote from: 1-600-matt on December 28, 2018, 12:43:54 AM

actuaally it's more likely for the o ring to be displaced if it's fitted dry, always put a nice smear of clean oil on the o ring before fitting and all should be fine. 30nm isn't a high torque and to be fair I have fitted filters 'hand tight' in the past and never had an issue.

This was pictures of a filter that had been fitted but failed some time later, so fitting dry doesn't explain it for me.
30Nm is not very tight at all... but it's a hell of a lot more than hand tight
When I fit a filter hand tight and look at the compression on the o-ring, then torque it up, the spacing between the filter body and engine is massively reduced. Once the filter is correctly tightened the o-ring could never pop out. At hand tight there is a substantial gap. It seems entirely possible to me that all that is happened is that the oil pressure trying to push the seal out has managed to push the o-ring out through the gap left between the filter and engine as it wasn't tightened properly