Bus Lanes - You're doing it wrong

Started by Chojin, March 27, 2017, 07:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chojin

On Saturday I received a nicely worded letter from Southampton City Council notifying me of the discount i'll receive upon payment for using one of their Bus lanes. All I need to do is pay within 7 days to receive my 50% discount - How very thoughtful of them.

Rightly or wrongly, I believed that Bus lanes could be used by motorcycles for filtering - But clearly I land on the wrong side of that argument according to this particular city.

Now I've not got a problem with being in the wrong, but what I find staggering is that the law appears to be inconsistent across the country - Depending on the policy of the local authority as to whether they allow it or not.

Is it fair to have such inconsistency in road laws? Can I use this inconsistency to contest the fine? Or do I just need to be a man and suck it up.

Answers/flaming on a postcard...

tucola

It's inconsistent within cities, never mind across the country.

I got nailed twice in one week in the bus lane on Caledonian Road in London opposite La Scala before I realised that bus lane wasn't permitted for motorcycles unlike most of the lanes in London.

If the signs on the particular lane are 'clear', you'll have to suck it up - nationwide inconsistency won't get you out of it...

Raydial

Yep, in London unless you know your route well you have to check the blue sign at the start of every single stretch of bus lane. It's frustrating that they don't just make it the same all across the city (and country).

Gilby104

My understanding is that the law isn't inconsistent per se, it's that motorbikes aren't allowed in bus lanes but, if the council are feeling generous they may invite you to use them where they deem appropriate! I.e. best to stay out unless you've seen something that says you can go in them.

Unfortunately i don't think there is a case for you on this one, which is a shame.

It's a f'ing stupid rule because there are no good reasons why a bike shouldn't be able to use a bus lane in my view.

Raydial

Quote from: Gilby104 on March 28, 2017, 12:59:35 PMUnfortunately i don't think there is a case for you on this one, which is a shame.
I'm with Gilby on that, unfortunately.

komp

it is very annoying and would be nice if rule was consistent  .... maybe we need a petition  :rofl:
round this way motorbikes are allowed
but was up in norwich  last weekend and  only cyclists and buses were allowed
after being caught out in the past i now always air on side of caution
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Chojin

Quote from: tucola on March 27, 2017, 08:38:03 PM

I got nailed twice in one week in the bus lane on Caledonian Road in London

Guess what arrived just this morning...

tucola

Argh!

If it were me, I'd consider a letter saying that you're from out of town, bikes are allowed in bus lanes where you're from, you've learned from the first fine that that is not the position in Southampton, you'll never do it again, but it's not really fair to be fined twice before you realised that you were infringing.

I don't think that would necessarily get you off the hook as a matter of law, but they might take pity on you and only make you pay one ticket.

The danger of this approach is if they're being complete arseholes, take 7 days to respond, say no, and then say that the full amount rather than the 50% discount is now due for both tickets.

tucola

... and having said that, with the Caledonian Road tickets, I didn't do that and just coughed up in the interests of a quiet life and moving on.

But I had infringed every day in a week before I got the first ticket, and I waited until it was clear I was only getting two tickets before paying up: I think if I'd got five I'd have chanced my arm with throwing myself on their mercy along the above lines.

Gilby104

With the second one have a go at appealing it. The process is simple and they can only say no. Most authorities will still give you the reduced rate if the appeal was made on reasonable grounds.

I've currently got a parking ticket awaiting determination when I was bang to rights. I just explained the circumstances (which I think gave fair reason for it) and just put themselves at their mercy. Worth a shot.