Turning into a VFR400 restoration project

Started by 1-600-matt, May 18, 2014, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOzZereLLa

Ahh yes. I remember now. The Tyga system I bought for the RGV was excellent. The service from the importer (Jap4performance iirc) was utter dogshit.
Significantly faster than you.....

Gilby104

absolutely loving this thread, can't wait to see it finished!

1-600-matt

So with the KTM serviced and ready for fun at the weekend and the Kawasaki only needing a wash and maybe a clean air filter I turned attention back to the Honda. The fuel tank next. I had trouble running the bike, in fact it wouldn't start, before I started this little project. I had thought maybe the fuel stop valve had gummed up or something but it seems the little vacuum hose that releases the fuel had perished and was split. When I applied a little vacuum on the bench with some new hose the fuel flowed freely. So no need to fiddle with that end of the tank too much.

The paint is a bit scratched and could do with a good polish and the filler cap is a bit scratched

So I had hoped a good bit of elbow grease would bring a bit of a shine back to it. It also had a shitty Carbon tank protector which was broken on it and I think it may be nicer without it.

I was wrong

Quite a sizeable dent was lurking below. I decided the fuel within the tank being over 3 years old I would be best draining the tank. So drained what I could via the valve then removed the valve to get the dregs out... it may also let me get inside and try to pop the dent out a bit.

I can confirm that although the fuel is a pretty ropey yellow colour it has not formed any solids in any way... but I'd rather not burn it in the bike given I can avoid it.

1-600-matt

I think the Americans call it a petcock... but I don't really want a pet cock... so I'll call it the fuel tank valve!! Anyhow i wanted to get all the old fuel out so I removed it. The main o-ring was shagged and the outside of the valve was pretty dirty, so i got some new o-rings off eBay of a suitable size and took the rest to the ultrasonic cleaner. It came up nice.

1-600-matt

Had a go at the tank today, just to see how it cleaned up. Had soaked some wd40 on the sticky pads for the tank protector, so they peeled off ok. Then degreaser the tank, gave it a wash, clay bar, quick go over with some t-cut/scratch remover, polish and wax. It's not too bad, but to get it tip top it would need sanded and a new clear coat on it. Worst area is under the tank protector where it's dented and the carbon fibre has rubbed the paint and scratched it.

So the way I see it I have 3 options:
1: leave it as is (the fairings are rough also) and i just accept it's nearly 25 years old and is showing it's age
2: buy a new tank protector to cover the majority of the damage
3: leave it to a paint shop and get the dent pulled out and new clear coat so it's looking pretty mint

What to do!?

MOzZereLLa

Option 3 for me.

Tank is not plastics so worth getting perfect. Shouldn't be too expensive?

1-600-matt

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on February 19, 2017, 08:08:02 AM
Option 3 for me.

Tank is not plastics so worth getting perfect. Shouldn't be too expensive?

You're right I think. It shouldn't be vastly expensive and would hopefully tidy up quite easily.

But with spring around the corner I really wanna get the little thing back on the road and get to ride it. The tank will join a list of cosmetic jobs for the future. Brake disc rotors, wheels, fork legs and fairings. So the tank will go on with a few rough edges for now.

1-600-matt

The fuel filler cap was all scratched up.

So gave it a light sand down and a lick of rattle can action, then shined up the bolt heads. Not a great finish, but better than it was

It's not bad from a distance

The next job is to put the rear brake line on. The brake line runs down the swing arm above the chain to the calliper which is under slung. So the hose passes near the rear sprocket and chain as it loops round the end of the swing arm. There is a little guide loop to stop the hose touching the sprocket. It must have been fatigued in the past as it snapped when the bike was coming apart.

So the plan is to clean it up and see if I can get it welded back together.

So it's cleaned up, next job is weld it up and give it a dust of paint.

1-600-matt

A touch more progress. Got the little brake line loop fixed up.

Whipped the cans off as I had to touch up the hanger anyhow after trimming it and allowed access to get the brake line fitted. Also took the chance to torque up the hub nut while I was there.

With the brakes bled (they didn't give up easy) and the hub done up, there isn't too much to do at the back end. Expansion bottle to fit and the cooling system to drain of water and fill with antifreeze.

Although gettin the right rearset in place highlighted a new problem. Again related to the exhaust!

The heat guard and exhaust are in a fight for space. So I shall pull the rearset off to a lose fit, final fit the exhaust silencers and then trim the heat shield to allow clearance. Then touch up the paint and get the rearsets on. Will probably take the chance to clean up the footpeg and hanger a bit!

1-600-matt

Starting to think about plastics

The wire panel is pretty shitty

I have no idea what colour it was originally, doesnt seem to be any paint left on it! I'm thinking paint it black!? What do you think? Black or silver?

MOzZereLLa

Paint it black (in a Call of duty stylee)...

1-600-matt

That wire mesh was a bitch to get cleaned up, but it turned out ok

Airbox was filthy, just needed a clean up... mostly

Only small issue was the little drain line which comes off the side of the top cover to drain away spilled fuel or rain water from under the fuel filler cap

Good clean up this afternoon

Then used a brass push fit connector to bodge a repair on the drain, chemical metal to hold it in place

That left me in a place where I could fit the airbox and tank and give it a small run to circulate the antifreeeze after finally fitting the expansion bottle and getting the heat shield and exhaust finally fitted. I didn't get it hot as I wanted to let it cool and check the water level was ok before letting it get hot. Not 100% convinced the water temp sensor is working properly, but we'll see! Also the replacement tank breather pipe is too big an OD to fit through the right routing so I need some different pipe to replace the old hardened original stuff. Also the rear tank rubber mount has hardened and broken into 3 bits and one of the three seems to have gone walkies in the past couple of years... so have one of those ordered from fleabay. Also it didn't run very clean initially, I think something in one of the carbs isn't quite spot on, I hope it just needs a bit of a healthy twist of throttle to clear its throat!! Really don't want to take those carbs off any time soon!! Fingers crossed

But it's starting to look more like a bike which might make it onto the road for summer.

Started on the first of the plastics, it looks better in this picture than it does in the flesh, but it's definitely improved. Just need half a day to try and make the best of the plastics. It's time to figure out what tyres to fit as well! Unfortunately can't fit them myself, well can fit them but can only balance the front as I don't have a taper sized to mount the rear wheel in the balancer

Think if I got a good weekend free from the Mrs and little one I could have it ready for MOT. But spread over an hour or two here and there it will be a couple of weeks.

1-600-matt

Needs the wheels cleaned and the 10 year old tyres replacing!! Suspension setting, MOT and tax and it's ready for a few miles this summer.

Jarse

Love it. Great twin pipes too. Very Muzzy 750.

Raydial