Main Menu

new toy

Started by komp, August 31, 2022, 09:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

komp

had a hankering for a 9 nine t for a while, love the look of them, and very much interested in the air cooled boxer engine. my idea was a few mods to give it a bit of a cafe racer feel.
so when i came across this with the work done, low mileage, private plate and at a price i could afford i went for it.

put a few miles on it so far, i think may have to revert bars back to standard, as although looks the part, am finding riding position a little aggressive.
loving the noisy can tho and the engine characteristics, although can get a bit twitchy on the gear change down.
very happy with look of it, have a few minor aesthetic bits to tidy up, doesn't look like has been cleaned particularly well over the years.

i had planned to part with one of the existing bikes, but not sure this would be a suitable replacement for either, so for now will be #3 in the fleet.

KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

DaveH

Lovely, enjoy :afro:

Had a test ride of the classic racer version a few years back and loved it, it was quite extreme though but that looks a lot better and very cool  :moto:

Jarse

Very cool. Enjoy 👍🏻🏍😎

Lord Danoir the first

Yeah that's very cool indeed

Looks great, although not a fan of brown seats.
Many happy and safe miles.  :moto:  :moto:
And 3 bikes is a nice number to have.
N+1 though.  ;)

Dom1

Nice choice, would like something like that for a bit of bike meet posing.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

komp

Quote from: Dom1 on September 01, 2022, 12:58:23 PMNice choice, would like something like that for a bit of bike meet posing.
it definitely gets attention, even had people taking photos as i rode it home on M25 when picking it up

passed it MOT yesterday which was good, will be taking it on the air ambulance run later this month, the kids will love the noise it makes!

Quote from: 7550 on August 31, 2022, 09:15:49 PMLooks great, although not a fan of brown seats.
Many happy and safe miles.  :moto:  :moto:
And 3 bikes is a nice number to have.
N+1 though.  ;)
the brown seat is nice and comfy tho :)
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

MOzZereLLa

Like that a lot. Class.
Significantly faster than you.....

Manic636

Great engine with bags of character, had one for a day when the TS was in for service last year and really had some fun..

Druid

Cymru am byth.

komp

after 6 months the 9 nine t is finally back on the road, it probably doesn't look drastically different but over the winter i thought i would tidy up some of the tatty parts.
a lot of corners were cut by previous owners and bike appears as if may have spent most of life outside so wanted to sort these issues out

i didn't expect it to take quite so long to do everything, but ended up down the rabbit hole and had to do things properly!
some of the upgrades:

powder coated wheels satin black - inc spokes. this my original intention, but would have been several more months to get wheels dismantled and powder coated separately, but happy with the result.
new tyres - figured as had nice new painted wheels would treat bike to new rubber too
new exhaust - didn't like the the silly pro-race GP can that came with it, and the standard one was a bit too big and heavy, so got a nice new "unit" can, very happy with look, sound and weight saving.
flapper removal mod - got a bypass section to replace the flapper and its motor.
black fork tubes - the forks were wrapped when i got it and were lots of sections where could still see the gold underneath. so just got some replacement black tubes from germany.
resprayed the cowl - this was also wrapped when i got it and was coming away, so painted it instead
new rear brake reservoir - much nicer looking AC schnitzer reservoir
new rizoma pegs - didn't like the big rubber standard pegs so replaced
painted rear spring - was a bit of rust coming through the rear spring, so touched up a bit
stainless steel bolts - replaced a lot of tarnished bolts all over the bike with new shiny stainless steel versions
top yoke covers - when the standard bars were replaced for clip ons this left some holes showing on top yolk, so got some ally covers from germany.
Aftermarket air induction cover - just stops bugs from being sucked into airbox
replaced some of the sponge/rubber spacers on the steering dampener
evotech end can bracket - because the sub-frame had been removed this was required for most exhausts

i think thats it?
there are maybe 2/3 more things i would like to do, but will probably have to wait until next winter now.

took it out for a spin Saturday pm and rode like a charm.
happy to have it back the on the road finally  :afro:
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Lord Danoir the first

that looks awesome.
images embedded:

Jarse

Very nice Komp. Tidy job that 😎

DaveH