More of a bit of a tart up

Started by Phil_8, November 04, 2013, 10:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_8

Ive been umming an ahhing about starting this a project thread, as It could only last a page, it could go on for a while. Not really sure.
But though, might aswell.

So.

Just under 2 years ago I bought this Ducati sportclassic from Ireland with about 500 miles on the clock. It had been kept in a barn and this, along with standard ducati built quality meant that it was looking a but sorry for itself. Although you cant really notice it in the pics.
I have only now, just got started with addressing the issues due to...well, laziness.
When I first got it...

Thins I have already done, fitted the standard drop down bars rather than the raised ones it had fitted. Stuck a tail tidy on . That's it.

From when I bought it the fork seal was oozing, and finally, it got to the point where there wasn't any oil left and it didn't really go around corners anymore, so off come the forks. The wheel spokes were also horrifically corroded when I got it, so think I might as well get them respoked too. Leaving me with a bike that currently looks like this.

While im doing the forks, I decided that id prefer a different colour to the standard silver, so have sent them away for a bit of anodizing, and will get them, and the wheels, back in a couple of weeks.

As the forks are changing colour, many little ancillary parts will require a change aswell. I have not completely decided which yet, as ill wait for the forks to come back and see what it looks like, but I have already changed the four little mudguard brackets from black to silver with a bit of rattle can magic.

I have always been disappointed with the sound of the bike. It doesn't rumble and rattle like a dry clutch duke should, but aftermarket stuff is pretty limited on these bikes. I ended up having to get a system for a monster as the heads are the same. It is a QD ExBox and It almost fit as standard, but not quite, so had to file away a little bit of the mounting brackets to make everything line up nicely

The lamda sensor is also on the other side to the original system, so had to re route the wiring and make it look as tidy as possible

It now sounds MUUUCH better =]

Many more things I plan to do to it, and I will update with more pics once the forks and wheels are back on

komp

good stuff :thumbleft:
looks like a fun albeit possibly expensive little project
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Bullet

Oooo always liked these, doesnt look that bad atall in your 'as I bought it picture' though  what colour are you going on the forks? changing the spoke colour too?

Lord Danoir the first

that..... is....... lovely

keep us updated or incur my wrath

Phil_8

Yeah, although it looks shiney, there is pretty severe rust and paint flake on various metal parts.
Ill take some close ups to give you a better idea.

You will find out what colour the forks are when I put them back on =p

2 other points I forgot about too; Last year at the NEC I was speaking to the guys at the Goodridge stand, and as they didn't do a hose kit for it said to take my standard brake lines off, send it off to them and they'll send me back some braided stuff all for free, so they then have a kit for this bike. Awesome. So it has braided lines.
The brake reservoir's paint had also flaked off, so last year I re-sprayed that.

Phil_8

Still not got the forks or wheels back yet, but here are a few more detailed pictures to show some of the corrosion and furring

Oil lines

Clutch lever

And just general engine casings

Jarse

Love that bike.

Keep the updates coming as requested by others :moto:

Stuno1

Looks great that. Look forward to seeing you progress mate
[/

Phil_8

Well, finally got all the bits back and a bit of spare time without any rain so....

Shiny respoked wheels. Without the comparison of how they were its hard to appreciate just how much better this makes everything look

Rebuilt the forks with standard internals, using 10w instead of the recommended 7w oil, still with the standard air gap. I was extremely adventurous with the colour choice of the tubes and bottoms..

the original top caps were so corroded that when they tried to acid bath the rest of it off everything just sort of went horrifically pitted, so they gave me two brand new top caps for free! now starts the battle to try and keep them looking good =/

Front view (in case you didn't notice)

Close up of the lowers. The mounting brackets for the mudguard were black, but for some contrast I rattle caned them silver

And now, in all its black forked, short exhaust glory..

Next up is fitting the new wing mirrors I have for it, blacking some more of it up to match and a few other goodies in the pipe line too

=]

MOzZereLLa

Significantly faster than you.....

Green_Ninja

Grantham ninja

MOzZereLLa

Interesting exhaust. What is it??
Significantly faster than you.....

Green_Ninja

Quote from: MOz on December 14, 2013, 05:36:48 PM
Interesting exhaust. What is it??

from the first post

"I have always been disappointed with the sound of the bike. It doesn't rumble and rattle like a dry clutch duke should, but aftermarket stuff is pretty limited on these bikes. I ended up having to get a system for a monster as the heads are the same. It is a QD ExBox and It almost fit as standard, but not quite, so had to file away a little bit of the mounting brackets to make everything line up nicely"

:azn: