Original Fazer Thou - any opinions?

Started by motto, May 24, 2015, 08:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motto

So this afternoon I took a test ride on a 2003 Fazer 1000. And I thought it was pretty awesome to be honest :) Consensus seems to be they're pretty bulletproof too. Just wondered if anyone here had any opinion on them, or suggestion of what else I should consider?

Basically I want something that I could ride down to the south of france with my girlfriend on the back, but is still fun enough that I'll want to take it out on a sunny Sunday, and could cope with the odd trackday. For less than £3k. Seems like a lot to ask! Not sure what else fits the bill - later model ZX9 maybe?

Ta muchly!

Manic636

ZX9 would certainly fit the bill, can't comment on the fazed, have ridden them and generally capable but not got the feel on a Sunday ride that the 9 would have for me..

Dom1

Used to have an original 600 Fazer and fell in with the www.foc-u.co.uk lot.

They are a decent bunch and should be able to advise you well.

As I recall they are an ace bike - R1 engine, blue spot calipers, lots of good stuff which made the Fazer thou quite expensive when I came out rather than corners cut.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Dom1 on May 24, 2015, 09:11:29 PM

As I recall they are an ace bike - R1 engine, blue spot calipers, lots of good stuff which made the Fazer thou quite expensive when I came out rather than corners cut.
Heavily detuned r1 engine as I used to remind my old mate when he wanted to drag race me.....
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Farmer Giles

as Dom1 says..  get yourself on the FOC-U site..

loads of advice and plenty of relatively cheap and well documented upgrades you can make to dramatically improve these bikes..

Maybe not as busy as this site but still good IMO..  I reg'd on there when I got my fz8 and had some good advice.

2p

Dom1

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

motto

Thanks guys. Checking out the FOC site now.

Only thing I wasn't convinced about with the Fazer I rode was the front end didn't feel quite right. But then I checked the bike after riding it and noticed the fork seals were weeping, so I doubt that helped! I'll try to find a decent one to test, and a ZX9 too for comparison. Anything else you can think of which maybe I should be considering?

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on May 24, 2015, 09:25:42 PM

Heavily detuned r1 engine as I used to remind my old mate when he wanted to drag race me.....

Ha! Well my current bike is a 2003 R1 which I rode back-to-back with the Fazer. Admittedly the roads were slightly damp so I wasn't giving it full beans, but honestly I would have been pushed to tell the difference between them engine-wise. Comfort-wise however... night and day!

Farmer Giles

if it's a 2003 model then the suspension will need a re-fresh anyway so budget it into your negotiations if you go that far.. Use the site for tips on the fork re-build options and one of the popular mods on this bike is fitting a re-sprung R6 shock and along with the fork rebuild should see you right on the handling front...

Farmer Giles

Alzo

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on May 24, 2015, 09:25:42 PM

Heavily...too strong of a word...it was Re- tuned for more midrange to suit the Fazer...it could go some then and still can today...solid engineering....still look great. A lot to like.

motto

Well, 3 weeks later I'm now the proud owner of this. Spent a couple of hours on it yesterday and very happy with it :)

I'm not sure if colour-matched tinted screens are approved of around here, but luckily it came with the original too

Carbon_ZX6R

it could look worse! hope you enjoy her
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Dom1

Very nice.

Did you find the FOC-U forum? There may be one or two still there who remember me.

motto

Quote from: Dom1 on June 15, 2015, 04:27:02 PM
Very nice.

Did you find the FOC-U forum? There may be one or two still there who remember me.

Thanks! Found it in the MCN classifieds, I'd been looking on the foc-u site but no luck - the one Farmer G posted looked perfect but Glasgow is a bit far to travel for me!