New bike day..

Started by Farmer Giles, October 29, 2013, 08:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Giles

almost..  not picking it up for a week while it's serviced MOT'd and cleaned up..   :(

after looking around at naked bikes for a coupe of weeks, mostly Street Triples and Tounos I found something that really ticked all my boxes so I am (or will be soon) the owner of a '60 plate Yamaha FZ8.. 

It's white with gold wheels and completely standard at the moment but I already have an exhaust, exhaust hanger and tail tidy ready to order once it arrives which really tidies it up alot as the standard can is just horrendous and massive and probably weighs a ton.

No decent pics right now but this is a pic from the advert to give you an idea if you've never seen or heard of it.

The rack for the back box will be removed right away closely followed by the addition of an SP Engineering carbon can, Evotech tail tidy and exhaust hanger..

I just love the way it looks and (like it or not) the wheels will be changing to white next year once the crappy weather has passed..

Most of the reviews I have read have been positive with most comments around slightly soft suspension and a flat spot in the fueling at around 4k. Nothing that cannot be sorted easily enough but for the time being I'm just gonna make the changes I've planned already and ride it as much as possible..  I'm not expecting it to set my pants on fire performance wise but should be quick enough to be good fun.

Will post up more pics when I get it home and as I start adding my own touches.. future plans may include a single seat cowl, flat bars and bar end mirrors then maybe a filter and PC to sort out the fueling issue and one tooth of the front sprocket to liven it up a bit if I deem it necessary....

Martyn

Alzo

Looks superb...have many happy safe miles.  :moto:

Lord Danoir the first

Yes..... Now that is one handsome motorsickle

Dom1

There was a rather nice Abarth version of the FZ1 in PB a while ago that they did their own replica of.

Could dig out the articles if you want some inspiration.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Farmer Giles

Quote from: Dom1 on October 29, 2013, 11:48:42 PM
There was a rather nice Abarth version of the FZ1 in PB a while ago that they did their own replica of.

Could dig out the articles if you want some inspiration.

There's been quite a few 'specials' from what I can gather..  but want to do my own thing with this one..

Steve R1

Very nice indeed, and Yamaha build quality it up there with the best, the plans you have will transform the bike.

Enjoy

MOzZereLLa

An interesting choice after considering a Street and V2 Tuono.

Happy new bike day.
Significantly faster than you.....

the invisible dog

greenmeeny

:afro:  bring back white wheels rah! rah! rah!

Jarse

Sweet.  Very much liking the mod list too, including the wheels.

Look forward to the updates.

Enjoy :moto:

Dom1

I know its an FZ1, but I think it looks ace...

PS - Don't forget www.foc-u.co.uk for much Fazer related adviceness, nice chaps they are.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

whoopee

Farmer Giles

Quote from: MOz on October 30, 2013, 07:17:10 AM
An interesting choice after considering a Street and V2 Tuono.

Happy new bike day.

yeah I know.  I was stuggling with the looks of the Street TBH and I had a Mille before and was never 100% on the whole V twin thing but was thinking that the Tuono style and upright riding would suit the twin configuration more..  but I am in IL4 man at heart..

It's also much cheaper to insure than either the Street or the Tuono..

really looking forward to riding it properly.  Always had 'sports' bikes in the past so this is a depature for me..

time will tell I guess..

Quote from: greenmeeny on October 30, 2013, 09:13:15 AM
:afro:  bring back white wheels rah! rah! rah!

white wheels FTW..   bring back the eightees I say..   :laugh:

Farmer Giles

quick pic of what I'm aiming at..  if your interested

the can I'm getting has a rolled, angled exit not slash cut like this one and the hanger will move the strap more into the middle of the can..  Comes with a DB killer so might be a little less offensive..  but not much    :evil:

The Evotech tail tidy also sits much closer to the undertray and retains the OE indicators which I prefer. Will just need to get a stick on reflector for the MOT.

Kitb4460

Retired Rozzer and loving it.