New to the site not new to ZXR's but have a problem

Started by iow, July 25, 2013, 12:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iow

Hi come to the forum looking for info I have had ZXR 900's first one was B4 mod then went to the R1 then back to E2
But as starting to get on a bit thought it would be good idea to go down in size so got my self a 636 2005 but having problems with suspension .
i live on Isle Of Wight are roads are full of pot holes lumps and bumps OK when you get used to it and get good setup on the bike. But this 636 has put a spanner in the works can not get it set up it is way to hard are they all like this ? I am asking as I know the bike I have has been on a lot of track day's more than road day's I think it is good in corners but on straight's I am having to back out of the power as the bike takes control of me not other way round on the bumps.
i have had other bikes and always been able to set them up but this 636 has me stumped any one got any idea's on it or point me at a posting i have looked around on the site but can not find anything seems to be front end more than back end ??????
Sorry to come on here with a problem right away
gord

WizzBang

Hi there.....

Is the bike a B1 or C1 ?

I'm guessing from what you have wrote, it's the B1

Fastas......

Sounds very much like a B1/B2 from the description of the rock hard suspension!

HP

You can change the rear shock for a ZX10 of the same year, that will help :)
Life is the stuff that happens to you while you're making other plans.

MOzZereLLa

Significantly faster than you.....

Dom1

B1 rear shocks are notoriously hard and IOW roads are notoriously crap.

Managed to swim the Solent and escape myself but we have a few members over there - Bullett, Wozzar & Kath to be specific.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

ash

You can also change the shock out for one out of a ZX636R C1 (2005/2006) as I have done as they have a softer spring

I have also backed the preload off by 1 ring on the forks. There is a thread it in the archive detailing what setting to have. Mine is working much better for that and isn't tracking anywhere near as much now. You'll have no problem selling the B1 shock on as the Bandit owners use them.

Read this

http://archive.mcnninjas.com/index.php?topic=31995.0

Bullet

Welcome fellow islander :) I can sympathize having ridden a few zxr's with rock hard back ends on the island too! Best cure I found for my ZXR750 was a ZX10R rear shock, and a ZX7R rocker arm that made it more comfy, and a differant front tyre cured its head shaking problems..... No idea if thats any help but it made my bike better!

iow

Nice to see not only islander on here and know the roads
It is not the back end that is really the problem but the front I am having to shut down at around the (very brisk ;) ) mark as the bike does what it want's to do rather than you pick a line ?
I have replaced fork oil wound them off on preload could not get heat into front tyer but dropped PSI down a bit that solved that one . have put new rubber on it BT's as i used on my 900 don't last long but they worked .
But this coming down to a 600cc i am wondering if done the right thing now as a number of places i have to back off to keep control of the bike 

iow

getting there with it have wound off rear shock spring dropped the forks 10mm backed off the preload and rebound on front . At least can hold a line now and don't have to back off over bumps any more .
Going to get it up on the bench over next week balence it take a look at shim's and do another oil change
has any one had a 636 and had clutch drag ? When this one is hot can't get it out of gear have to turn it off
In all happy with the bike in some ways it is faster than the 900 but do miss the extra power in 5th and 6th
Does any one go out for run's on the island? We do a rout that used to be called 12 rout 12 years ago on the R1's we been doing it most of this summer have not seen any one else out apart from car park at Blackgang prefer to ride the bike rather than look at it

ash

MOzZereLLa

I'd be watching what you say on a public motorbike forum mate....
Significantly faster than you.....

Millhouse

my B1 can be awkward getting gears when the chain is slack.

Life is a contact sport,  you'll be needing rule #5

ash

iow

point taken.
only had problems 3rd to 4 th or 4th to 3rd if revs not up there and only a few times but i don't use clutch that seems to help
The clutch drag is when it is hot in town or just back from a ride
But over all pleased with the bike now that thing's are getting sorted engine braking is really good way different to the 900

On a side note to the island members if you have kid's on a Sunday afternoon we have a get together here on pit bikes we have a small track and i have dug a pit in with a digger to play in it is a kid's only thing.