tyre life when stored?

Started by Bullet, June 23, 2014, 10:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullet

I've got 2  scrubbed racetec front tyres sat in the shed where they have been for a couple of years, are they actually going to be any use now, or  do they loose theyre grippyness when left for long periods unused? They have been periodically turned so as to not get flat spots. (only reason i have them left is that I bought three sets ages ago, and used up the three rears to one front)

mc101

Quote from: Bullet on June 23, 2014, 10:42:37 AM
I've got 2  scrubbed racetec front tyres sat in the shed where they have been for a couple of years, are they actually going to be any use now, or  do they loose theyre grippyness when left for long periods unused? They have been periodically turned so as to not get flat spots. (only reason i have them left is that I bought three sets ages ago, and used up the three rears to one front)

They dont like lots of heat variations. (winter freezing to summer hotness etc).

If they've been stored like that for more than 12 months I'd steer clear personally.
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Alzo

I wouldn't take the chance...not worth the risk.

Carbon_ZX6R

steer clear its not worth the risk trust me ive been there
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gobert

I depends how much use they've had and how they've been stored. Tyres stored in the dark and not subject to extremes in temperature last a lot longer than those exposed to light and cold for long periods.

It also depends on what you use them for and how hard you push your tyres - the answer for a mid  pack inters rider will be different from someone up the sharp end of a club race.

I'll happily use tyres that are 3 years old as I know how I've stored them.

Pickled Onion

Shove your thumbnail into the rubber, does it rebound quickly ? if it does then there may be some life left. As others have said if you are unsure then get shot. never dick around with the rubber or your brakes.. :D

imo