track bike help!

Started by m6rk, April 12, 2019, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m6rk

Hello All remember me?

So it appears bikes are fun who knew?!? ;-)

I'd like to enter the world of bike trackdays again. I used to pootle about on 400's, then had a b1h and then a 5sl r6 for years.. I've currently got a 2007 r1 (pre big bang) road bike which I love. I tracked it once but on road tyres and it felt mental quick... I don't want to track it as I find the thought of wrecking a road bike slows me down too much  :angel:

so...

I was thinking maybe another 4c8 r1 as I like the idea of being able to jump off the road bike onto the same model trackbike..

but...

I've never really got good enough to make the most out of a thou.. always preferred smaller bikes where i can make up the lack of grunt with corner speed and feel like i'm getting the most out of it.. otherwise i'm the person you hate - storming up to a corner, stopping, pootling round and then poooowweeer!

however

these days most people seem to be on thou's.. I'd like to do more european trackdays too.

thoughts? :afro:

David W

The 'problem' seems to be that people are using late generation 1000cc bikes with all their lovely electronic aids to prevent you launching into the scenery.
Depends how worried you are about winning the Inters group? :)

m6rk

I couldn't care about winning inters or even fast, just want it to be enjoyable  :moto: I guess a thou would teach me better throttle control..

David W

What doesn't help is that manufacturers only have one real sportsbike in their ranges these days.
Late GSXR750 is the default option for power, handling and manageability without clever electronics.  Depends how much you want to spend?

Dom1

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Green_Ninja

just get another R6 or CB600RR or ZX6R and rag the arse off it, it'll more fun than a 1000

Carbon_ZX6R

Got a nice b1h going cheep ..... Well sorted for track....
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Green_Ninja

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on April 12, 2019, 04:56:24 PM

what took you so long  :tongue:

Alzo

Like a baby bird....or is it cheap.

Carbon_ZX6R

It is the noise it makes...
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

R1ch

Quote from: David W on April 12, 2019, 10:39:45 AM
The 'problem' seems to be that people are using late generation 1000cc bikes with all their lovely electronic aids to prevent you launching into the scenery.
How 'very dare them', ride a bike with electronics making their experience safer.
Really not sure I see the 'problem' ?  :shocked:

possibly the most expensive b1h listed on the uk interweb  :rolleyes:
(granted.. it has some nice bits... you know you should sell the nice bits separately put back to standard where possible and reduce the price of the bike)

Quote from: m6rk on April 12, 2019, 10:04:28 AM
I was thinking maybe another 4c8 r1 as I like the idea of being able to jump off the road bike onto the same model trackbike..

do it ... i'm clearly not bias ...  :rofl:

your timing sucks balls... last week i sold my spare set of 4c8 track fairings .. ( and they were blue/black :( )

after tracking coxy's gsxr1000 for a few years, I went down this route... 4c8 for the road and 4c8 for the track... 
I pretty much stopped road riding in 2013 .. my road 4c8 has spent most of its life sat in the garage
(although I did commute on it last year... got unlucky.. got pulled , got lucky, had to do the ride course (again  :undecided:))

i've been meaning to pop over to catch up.. but you know how slack i am .. just been busy :(
(last time I saw you I was changing jobs.... since then i've changed jobs again ... congrats on your new position too  :laugh: )

anyways.. since giving up road riding and 100+ trackdays later... I'm really no quicker  :undecided:
(maybe a little, on a good day ;))
Just enjoy the time on track with some mates, Your mentality to track changes the more you do

Would be good to see you out on track again ...  got the following booked for the rest of the year (so far) :
April 19th - Bedford ( has spaces )
May 24th - Cartagena 3 days ( has spaces )
Sept 27th - Aragon 3 days ( event has been full a while )
Nov 30th - Almeria/Andalcia/Espana - 4 days  ( has spaces )

Will be doing some trackdays in june/july/august  ;)..
(possibly sneak in another euro   :moto: )

you will generally have fun with whoever is on the same cc of bike
all my trackday buddies ride litre bikes (cbr1000rr,gsxr1000,s1000rr,zx10r,rsv4,rc8 etc)
playing on track with a random trackdayer is good fun, playing on track with your mates is even better
most euro tracks will benefit from a litre bike imo

do it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-R1-4c8-07-08-track-bike-with-v5/173866989945?hash=item287b47b979:g:1ssAAOSw03Jcq36c

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-r1-4c8-2008-track-bike-race-bike/173860412802?hash=item287ae35d82:g:ySwAAOSwE3Fco5xb

m6rk

Thanks for all the replies.. rich get your ass over to mine for a coffee ;)

David W

Quote from: R1ch on April 12, 2019, 09:47:23 PM
Quote from: David W on April 12, 2019, 10:39:45 AM
How 'very dare them', ride a bike with electronics making their experience safer.
Really not sure I see the 'problem' ?  :shocked:

No shit Sherlock.  That would be why I described it in quote marks, seeing as Mark was talking about the speed and manageability of 1000cc bikes on track.  But thanks for playing  :rolleyes:

1-600-matt

Someone who is good will still be pretty much fastest on the majority of trackdays with a 600, however if you aren't very good, like me, then being on a 600 still seems to work as an excuse!!

I guess if I had more money I was willing to throw at the handful of trackdays I do per year then I would get the latest and greatest thou. But for now I will stick to a 600, it's a cheap bike, cheaper for tyres and fuel, I'm not worried about damaging it and it's still a lot of fun even if you lose a lot of time on the straight compared to a similarly (un)skilled thou rider

David W

What's changed is just how manageable the 1000cc bikes are now.  They are incredible bits of kit.  I was always hesitant getting on the gas with my SP2 and Fireblade but that's not such a worry on the new ones (which is a good thing before anyone get triggered).
I'll be doing my first trackday in 9 years this year on my MT.  Hopefully the TC will stop me launching it!