BMW S1000XR - discuss

Started by MOzZereLLa, April 27, 2021, 06:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOzZereLLa

Anyone had one?

I've decided I want something that will summer commute but still has all the toys (QS etc).

The 765RS just isn't a commuting bike.

Has anyone had an XR? Do I want one?
Significantly faster than you.....

Alzo

You owned an S1000R...it's essentially that on stilts...and that's a fact...not trying to shortcut any offer of my experience.
I'd say there are better bikes if commuting is your sole aim.
All I can say about the S1000XR is I owned one...I didn't dislike it...but neither did I love it....the latest version is apparently lacking in the midrange...guess Euro 5 at play.

Jarse

From my investigations Alzo is spot on. I hanker after one but will never buy one.

The looks, performance and practicality tick so many boxes but it is not the bike for my needs which sounds strange as those boxes are my needs.

How far is your commute and where does the Street fail, although your mind will already be made up?

MOzZereLLa

I really wasn't sure if you'd had one Alzo, thanks for the reply.

It would be an older one anyway.

It compares to Multistrada I guess.

My commute is 80 miles a day of which 75 of them are dual carriageway. The Street is not great for constant motorway speeds (too hectic) and would be less comfy and more wasted doing that.

I'm not a Sunday ride out person anymore.

Jarse

XR, especially older ones reported as having bad handlebar vibrations and is also hectic at motorway speeds.

None of this from personal experience but plenty research.

Green_Ninja

Quote from: MOzZereLLa on April 27, 2021, 12:21:20 PMMy commute is 80 miles a day of which 75 of them are dual carriageway. The Street is not great for constant motorway speeds (too hectic) and would be less comfy and more wasted doing that.

Fit a Power Bronze Screen and be amazed at the difference.

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: MOzZereLLa on April 27, 2021, 12:21:20 PMI'm not a Sunday ride out person anymore.

do you fancy a ride out on Sunday?

Alzo

Quote from: MOzZereLLa on April 27, 2021, 12:21:20 PMI really wasn't sure if you'd had one Alzo, thanks for the reply.

It would be an older one anyway.

It compares to Multistrada I guess.

My commute is 80 miles a day of which 75 of them are dual carriageway. The Street is not great for constant motorway speeds (too hectic) and would be less comfy and more wasted doing that.

I'm not a Sunday ride out person anymore.
The RS 1200/ 1250  would be an ideal commuter...punchy...comfortable...low revving...economical...shaft drive...good size screen...Cruise control...Heated grips...Semi Actve suspension...and if you fancy a Sunday blast it will not disappoint.

Alzo

Quote from: Jarse on April 27, 2021, 01:05:20 PMXR, especially older ones reported as having bad handlebar vibrations and is also hectic at motorway speeds.

None of this from personal experience but plenty research.
Strangely varied from bike to bike as opposed to across the entire range...another situation where the internet got a hold of the vibes thing and everyone jumped on it...my bike was fine...yet the other lad off the Glasgow Bikers bike was white finger inducing.
6th gear is too high for relaxed cruising

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on April 27, 2021, 02:14:22 PM
Quote from: MOzZereLLa on April 27, 2021, 12:21:20 PMI'm not a Sunday ride out person anymore.

do you fancy a ride out on Sunday?

I can't Sunday - family say out. Sorry ☹️

David W

terry950sm

Growing old gracefully

Andy M

Triumph tiger sport as mentioned would be a cheaper alternative.

I like the xr's and fancy one at some point when they depreciate a bit more.

Have a read of this, tells you nothing you don't already know but consider the bit about how much traffic the xr would see in your general use and whether the s1000r would be worth having a look/test of also.

https://paultan.org/2018/08/14/review-2017-bmw-motorrad-s-1000-rr-s-1000-r-and-s-1000-xr/

MOzZereLLa

I've owned an S1000R. I don't want a naked anymore.

Concluded the current usage model is highly likely to be 90% summer commuting (dual carriageway) and maybe 10% social weekend ride outs. Weekend rideouts may well end up at Equine events (the only way I'll see my kids 🙄) so need something that I won't mind getting covered in crap and can ride over fields.

I want cruise control, heated grips and a Quickshifter plus some weather protection.

No more track days, no more public road scratching (pointless these days).

Therefore the new thinking is:

S1000XR (not great at a stables).
R1200/1250GS (know very little about these)
Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro (looks lush but pricey - my current favourite)
Africa Twin (again know very little about it).
Multistrada (not sure I want a big V-twin).

What do you think?

Jarse

I fear most of the bikes on that list would be for sale again very quickly as you'll be bored with sub 100 bhp performance.

I now have the RP900 and enjoy it although still running it in.

Very capable and ticks lots of boxes.