Recommendation for a rear shock

Started by whoopee, July 23, 2013, 12:47:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whoopee

Hi folks,

My son has a 2007 R1 in lovely nick, but its got quite a few miles on it now & he's been complaining about his bouncy shock for a couple of months.
I had a ride recently & it sure is bouncy despite having checked all the damping settings....so he's looking to replace it.

I know that he could spend squillions ££ on an Ohlins or whatever but I have a feeling that for road-use he could probably save himself a fortune & buy something perfectly adequate.

Do any of you lot have any experience/recommendations with regards to what to go for?

Thanks in advance.

TC

ash

Consider getting it rebuilt and revalved  ?

Could get it done for less than a couple of hundred quid

Green_Ninja

Quote from: ash on July 23, 2013, 01:12:26 pm
Consider getting it rebuilt and revalved  ?

Could get it done for less than a couple of hundred quid

would be my first option.

whoopee

Ta guys,

Do you know who would rebuild a standard shock?

ash

Dom1

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Foo

I bought a Wilbur for my ZX10 and it's transformed the handling of the bike

ash

I'm interested to know what the difference is between an OEM unit which has been revalved/shimmed properly, and an aftermarket shock like an Ohlin ?

mc101

2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

mc101

Quote from: ash on July 23, 2013, 04:05:04 pm
I'm interested to know what the difference is between an OEM unit which has been revalved/shimmed properly, and an aftermarket shock like an Ohlin ?

About 600 quid.

ash

Number24

Oem shocks have to cater for all types of riders all over the world and doesn't have that much adjustment ,the Ohlins has high+low speed compression+damping adjustability and preload too which can be setup to suit the rider perfectly :)

mc101

Quote from: ash on July 24, 2013, 08:09:02 am
That's it ?

Of course not but for most that's the headline benefit..

Increased adjustment, better fine tuning, improved respone to change, small volume high quality units versus mass produced oem stuff.  The list goes on... Most can tell the difference on the track but on track its night and day...