My lid: to replace, or not to replace?

Started by Johnnyfireblade, July 17, 2013, 10:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyfireblade

Dudes / dudettes,

I've had my Shoei X-Spirit for 8 years now.  It's never been dropped or crashed, but is starting to feel a bit loose on my head.

I know that manufacturers recommend changing after 3-5 years, but is there any factual reason behind this, or is it just a marketing ploy to sell more lids?  My lid hasn't been in daily use, so would I get away with just replacing some cheek pads?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. :)

Ta.

Alzo

It's your head...so only you can put a value on it...I'd change after that time for boredom alone.

Green_Ninja

If it feels loose I would change it or at least see if you can get new cheekpads to make the fit better. 5 years life is based on daily use in sunlight as thic can affect the shell, kept in cool dark place life is extended.

However if it was me after 8 years I'd buy a new lid.

monkeyb0b

I just went through the same thought process and replaced my Arai after 5 years

ash

The biggest problem is with the styrene inner shell getting compressed and/or going hard with age, and losing some of its ability to absorb the energy in the event of a further crash

Johnnyfireblade

Quote from: Green_Ninja on July 17, 2013, 10:28:12 AM
5 years life is based on daily use in sunlight as thic can affect the shell, kept in cool dark place life is extended.

Sunlight, daily?  In this country? ;)

Thanks for thoughts so far, chaps. :)

Snozzeltoff

3-4 years for me, usually when I get bored and want a new one though to be honest.

Sunlight and Daily this month though ;-)

Johnnyfireblade

Alas, I can't afford to get bored and buy a new one anymore. :(

It's my birthday next week - that's the only way I'm likely to get a new one any time soon! ;)

Jarse

Is this the Vermullen rep?

If so I remeber you buying it.

Johnnyfireblade

Quote from: Jarse on July 17, 2013, 01:02:08 PM
Is this the Vermullen rep?

If so I remeber you buying it.

Yes mate, that's the one!  2005, that was!

ash

Johnnyfireblade

Quote from: ash on July 17, 2013, 01:26:57 PM
What is the budget ?

As little as possible! ;)  I've been looking at the one which Gayle bought, which is around £200.

Jarse

Bloody hell, that long ago.  Cracking lid, can see why you have held on to it.

You will miss the quality of it going for a £200 lid.

Johnnyfireblade

Quote from: Jarse on July 17, 2013, 01:50:53 PM
Bloody hell, that long ago.  Cracking lid, can see why you have held on to it.

You will miss the quality of it going for a £200 lid.

I suspect as much, but no way I can stretch to the X-Spirit money again now there's a hefty mortgage and little'un running crawling shuffling around!

And I'm hoping it'll be a birthday present: the missus winced at £200, so doubt she can afford more either. :(

Jarse

What about a reduced XR1100?  I saw a Tommy Hill rep like mine for under £300 the other day.