Cyclist...................

Started by terry950sm, April 27, 2015, 08:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry950sm

After Sundays ride-out to North Yorkshire, we encountered a serious amount of cyclist, from novices to club cyclist on a Sunday run.
We tend to ride a lot of B roads, around every corner there seemed to be cyclist. Fat arse novice ones wobbling from side to side, taking up half of the road.
Club cyclist riding in large groups, usually Three abreast, causing us to overtake in some dodgy places.
I don't mind sharing the road with these guys, but they are going to cause some major accidents this Summer.
Thoughts guys, should we just mow the mother fuckers down. ;)
Growing old gracefully

MOzZereLLa

They have just as much right to the road as you do Terry.

I am a cyclist as well as a motorcyclist and a driver of cars - it allows me to relate to all on the road and understand the feelings of all.

3 abreast is not acceptable however.  2 abreast is fine unless on the narrowest if B roads with lots of blind bends.
Significantly faster than you.....

terry950sm

That's why I put it up on here, as I know a lot on here are keen cyclist.

They just seem to ride with no consideration for others.
Growing old gracefully

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: terry950sm on April 27, 2015, 08:41:20 PM

Should they wait until they are certain that there is no other traffic about?

Millhouse

Quote from: terry950sm on April 27, 2015, 08:41:20 PM

Much like many car/bike/lorry/bus riders/drivers/walkers/horsists then.
Life is a contact sport,  you'll be needing rule #5

Jonesy

Carbon_ZX6R

I normally just announce my arrival loudly and bully them out the way... If it don't have a motor it has no place.......... As my dads been an avid cyclist for the last 60 od years he even admits that the way some of them ride today is bloody dangerous to other road users not so much the fat arse wabbles more the club racers thinking there doing a time trial!
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on April 27, 2015, 08:53:31 PM
I normally just announce my arrival loudly and bully them out the way... If it don't have a motor it has no place.......... As my dads been an avid cyclist for the last 60 od years he even admits that the way some of them ride today is bloody dangerous to other road users not so much the fat arse wabbles more the club racers thinking there doing a time trial!

That's better

terry950sm

Do they or should they have some type of liability insurance.

Should they also, pay to use the roads, like other road users
Growing old gracefully

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: terry950sm on April 27, 2015, 09:08:45 PM
Do they or should they have some type of liability insurance.

Should they also, pay to use the roads, like other road users

No because it's not a legal requirement and vehicle duty is based on emissions not road usage.

Carbon_ZX6R

I think it should be made law that they have insurance ffs mobility scooters can have it....
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

David W

Cyclists have a legal right to use the road above and beyond that of a motor vehicle.
It's there's to use.  Your motorbike has to be licenced to be allowed to use it.  The roads would last forever if only cyclists used them so what are you actually saying a cyclist should be paying for exactly?

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on April 27, 2015, 09:16:16 PM
I think it should be made law that they have insurance ffs mobility scooters can have it....

They can have it, they don't have to. Here's a link as you seem to be struggling tonight
https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-and-powered-wheelchairs-rules/vehicle-tax-registration-and-insurance

Carbon_ZX6R

I did just say that? , I'm saying cyclist should also atleast have the option of insureance
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on April 27, 2015, 09:25:32 PM
I did just say that? , I'm saying cyclist should also atleast have the option of insureance

You do have the option. I've posted some links as you seem...nevermind

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/bike-insurance
http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/