DRZ-400SM

Started by mito, October 23, 2013, 08:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mito

So I sold my GSXR with the intention of staying off two wheels for a while, bored of driving to work already so hunting around for a work hack I can use over winter months.

Found a cheap (sub 3K) 08 plate DRZ400SM for sale, only got 10k on the clock, which looks ideal for my 12 mile commute.

Anyone own/owned one of these, pros/cons?

Thanks

Andy

MOzZereLLa

Bulletproof but slow / boring as fuck.

If you can find one a 640 KTM LC4 is much better and just as reliable.
Significantly faster than you.....

mito

I did watch some guys review on youtube last night and it did look slow, but I put it down to normally riding a sportsbike.

Found a 04 LC4, a black one with just under 20k on clock for £2995, FSH , Akky Can and a years ticket

Sound reasonable?  I know nothing about them - will do some research later

Cheers

MOzZereLLa

Mileage sounds fairly high.

A full service history is a total must for the LC4. You might want to find out if any of the engine internals have been replaced in its life.

whoopee

My son has owned both bikes discussed above.
The DR was the knobbly version though as opposed to the SM & the LC4 engined bike was the DukeII.

MOZ's advice pretty much exactly follows my sons thoughts on the 2 bikes. (he actually owned them at the same time but the DR was stolen after a few months)
He found the Suzuki reliable but dreadfully boring/gutless.
He utterly loved his DukeII & still hankers after another despite now being onto his 3rd litre bike - it did blow its base gasket during the running-in period however & being a single, he had to keep on top of tightening things up after vibrating loose. (dual underseat exhausts often rattled free from their hangars)

Hope this helps.

LewisBeGoog

My mate had a DRZ400 SM, Enjoyed it but yes it was slow, for a short twisty commute it wouldn't be a bad choice though.

mito

Will probably end up using it for blasts with my mates if I don't buy another sports bike next summer.

So will up the budget and go see this at the weekend  :evil:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-690-SMC-Supermoto-motorcycle-690cc-Monster-energy-Akrapovic-/161121590231?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2583985bd7

MOzZereLLa

Can't access eBay at work, but the 690 is an excellent bike - FSH still a must.

Beware, Supermoto's can be very frustrating, especially if you plan to rideout with others who are on sportsbikes......

They rock as back lane blasters however.

David W

As long as you're prepared to be completely outrun by any Sportsbike (or bike for that matter) built in the last 25 years, Supermotos are great.  :rofl:

MOzZereLLa

mito

Cheers for all your help

Cheers Moz, will sign up and have a read

terry950sm

Quote from: David w on October 23, 2013, 08:19:08 PM
As long as you're prepared to be completely outrun by any Sportsbike (or bike for that matter) built in the last 25 years, Supermotos are great.  :rofl:

In a straight line, I agree. On the twisties dont think so.  :grin:
Growing old gracefully

Alzo

Quote from: terry950sm on October 26, 2013, 12:51:56 PM

A biking myth...sorry but with equal talented riders a Supermoto would be handed it's arse on any road.

terry950sm

Quote from: Alzo on October 26, 2013, 04:31:58 PM
Quote from: terry950sm on October 26, 2013, 12:51:56 PM

A biking myth...sorry but with equal talented riders a Supermoto would be handed it's arse on any road.
Must be a myth then, if you say so. There again I have posted this on a sport-bike web site.  :moto:
Growing old gracefully

Gobert

A can think of a lot of "B" roads around here where the supermoto would have an advantage.....