road riders: mirrors?

Started by Millhouse, June 30, 2014, 11:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millhouse

how many of you/us that ride on the road prefer to do so without mirrors?
seen as discussion on another forum with several people saying about preferring to ride without mirrors stating that they find it safer doing lifesavers than using mirrors?

personally i think it's retarded (having had to use the bike once without mirrors and felt like i was really compromising my observations)
Life is a contact sport,  you'll be needing rule #5

Carbon_ZX6R

ive ridden with and without for me it depended on the bike on the b1h I cant stand the mirrors so blanking plates wore fitted asap I think all other road bikes ive quite happily had mirrors

I do look behind me a lot more without mirrors barely bother with
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gilby104

ridiculous not to have them, when you need to look in your mirrors have a look in them.... when you don't, then don't.

Carbon_ZX6R

if I remember right the mirrors for the b1 are terrible, but as a rule its generally a lot safer with them
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Bullet

either or for me. One of my old zxr's had no mirrors and I never got round to buying some purely out of lazyness. I found I just adjusted my riding to suit with much more checking over the shoulders! I dont think I'd have removed them if I'd had some though....

Coxy

I could never check over my shoulders the same amount of times I glance in my mirrors.

Whenever I have ridden bikes without mirrors I found myself still glancing to the space they should of been, that was very unnerving.

Anything to assist in spotting a danger is good in my book. Sometimes even with mirrors you don't spot the Feds, but then they are very good at that chasing shit anyway.

ash

Quote from: Coxy on June 30, 2014, 12:59:37 PM
I could never check over my shoulders the same amount of times I glance in my mirrors.

Whenever I have ridden bikes without mirrors I found myself still glancing to the space they should of been, that was very unnerving.

Anything to assist in spotting a danger is good in my book. Sometimes even with mirrors you don't spot the Feds, but then they are very good at that chasing shit anyway.

+1

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Coxy on June 30, 2014, 12:59:37 PM

on that note ive only ever been pulled over when ive not had mirrors......

mirrors +1000000
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gobert

Wouldn't even consider taking the mirrors off my road bike.

Nat

You can look over your shoulder, but if someone is approaching you at speed I don't think it gives them an awfully big gap.
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General Keller

Alzo

Quote from: Gobert on June 30, 2014, 01:22:11 PM
This...to me it's inconceivable.

komp

Quote from: Alzo on June 30, 2014, 03:33:01 PM
Quote from: Gobert on June 30, 2014, 01:22:11 PM
This...to me it's inconceivable.

same here.. menthal
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Carbon_ZX6R

just took the mirrors off the zx6r to see what its like (not ridden without for years)  did not like it one little bit!!
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

the invisible dog

Mirrors sit in your peripheral vision while riding so you are conscious of changes in the panorama behind even if not directly looking at them
Take them off and you lose quite a chunk of your normal view
I remove them for the track and feel quite vulnerable without, and the bike feels very small!
It is hard work stopping the life-savers to compensate!  :shocked:

Farmer Giles

I took one ride on my FZ8 without mirrors while I was doing it up and it was horrible..  Was just so paranoid about what was behind me all the time constantly looking back..

never again...