What would you buy?

Started by MOzZereLLa, August 03, 2015, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David W

If you go ZXR get an L model (93-95).  The J that preceded it was restricted to 100ps to keep the EU happy.  I had '94 L2 from new and loved it.  It's a better bike than the ZX7 R that replaced it.

Gilby104

if it was the sake of fantasy and I didn't have to worry about using the thing I would have a 748 in a heartbeat. If I actually had to part with my actual money it would be a VFR400.

If I was looking for a bike for every day and I was actually looking in 1995 I'd likely go for an early 90's CBR, either the 600F or the 1000. Still like the look of them amongst modern bikes now.

Jarse

900 CBR Gilby? weight of a 600, power of a 1000 I recall the marketing was.

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: David W on August 04, 2015, 12:32:24 PM
If you go ZXR get an L model (93-95).  The J that preceded it was restricted to 100ps to keep the EU happy.  I had '94 L2 from new and loved it.  It's a better bike than the ZX7 R that replaced it.

Had discovered that when I looked into them.

I actually like the H model as a bit more old skool.
Significantly faster than you.....

Gilby104

Quote from: Jarse on August 04, 2015, 01:37:29 PM
900 CBR Gilby? weight of a 600, power of a 1000 I recall the marketing was.

you've sold it to me!

TBH now you've said 900 I really have a soft spot for the ZX9-R

Jarse

Quote from: Gilby104 on August 04, 2015, 03:16:16 PM
TBH now you've said 900 I really have a soft spot for the ZX9-R

+1

Lord Danoir the first

If you're looking to do more sensible track days, why not consider the road bike only option.

Must have a full MOT (no daylight), road legal zorsts (98db) etc.

Only 2 groups, no 'Fast' group.

Dicko's doing one this month at Donny. I can't do it as my bike is too loud but I'll be watching and shall report back with my findings.

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on August 04, 2015, 03:47:24 PM
If you're looking to do more sensible track days, why not consider the road bike only option.

Dicko's doing one this month at Donny. I can't do it as my bike is too loud but I'll be watching and shall report back with my findings.

If be interested to hear too. The classic days restrict numbers in groups and ban any overtaking once committed to taking corners until you are accelerating away again. Any "modern classic" I buy will be road registered.

simon m

jeebus you forget how fat 750's were back then.

there have been  couple of L model (BIG round headlights) for sale here in the last few weeks..they look wicked

David W

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on August 04, 2015, 03:58:47 PM

If be interested to hear too. The classic days restrict numbers in groups and ban any overtaking once committed to taking corners until you are accelerating away again. Any "modern classic" I buy will be road registered.

That sounds about as much fun as having sex with a favourite uncle.

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: David W on August 04, 2015, 09:04:25 PM
Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on August 04, 2015, 03:58:47 PM

That sounds about as much fun as having sex with a favourite uncle.

Voice of experience?

Bullet

when it comes to zxr's the H2 was a bit better than the H1 (bigger carbs, less rubbish oil filter design, better swingarm, bigger radiator e.t.c) but both of them had cripplingly solid rear ends. The J was supposedly the best handling but less powerful than the H2 or the L but was the lightest by about 10kg, the L was the ugliest (subjective I know!) and probably now the cheapest for a clean example and certainly the fastest thanks to the top end from the homologation K model but without the flatslides.

I'd say the best one to have if you dont want to mess with it is an L, as you do notice the lack of top end power on a J and those extra 18hp actually make a surprisingly large difference! But the J is prettier and the H2 has more retro cool  :tongue:

David W

Look at me big boy..... You know you want me.....

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Bullet