What have you done with/on the bike today....

Started by mc101, September 11, 2015, 09:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucola

How many miles do you get out of a set of tyres, Komp?

komp

this will be my 2nd rear change and first front change
and bike is on roughly 7900 miles
so average is 4k per rear and 8k per front! (although i am sure i changed the first rear at about 3k, so this one has done quite a bit more!)
anyway very similar to all my other bikes if memory serves me correctly
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

tucola

Cheers dude. Reason I ask is that I've got 2,000 miles on my current set and am off to Brittany next week for a weekend with a couple of mates.

Will be my first 'tour' on a bike and the other lads, who are touring old hands, have been like "oooh, make sure there's plenty of life in the tyres, brake pads and chain, don't want to have to change them half way through the trip, service the bike, change the oil, make sure you've got a paddock stand, socket set, chain lube 2 quarts of oil, spark plugs, spare piston, in your backpack etc".

Trip should apparently involve 1,000 to 1,500 miles.

Seemed like a waste to junk these tyres and waste 300 quid with only 2k on them and when they look fine to me. Chain and brake pads look fine as well.

But the comments from the other lads are stressing me out.

My feeling is that these'll be fine and just to go with it...

Why is 1,000 miles in France materially different from 1,000 in the UK? The damn bike is a year old and was only serviced in June!

They're winding me up, aren't they...

:rolleyes:

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

If it wears out just buy a tyre in France. it's not like it's the back of beyond. Don't panic, just enjoy the trip.

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Je voudrais acheter un pneu moto s'il vous plaĆ®t   :moto:

komp

yep tyres will be fine
the 899 is a perfect tourer ;)
it will be awesome
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

MOzZereLLa

To be fair Komp, your rear at the end of your latest jaunt had probably done 500 miles too many!!!
Significantly faster than you.....

Gilby104

Quote from: tucola on September 15, 2015, 11:06:28 AM
Cheers dude. Reason I ask is that I've got 2,000 miles on my current set and am off to Brittany next week for a weekend with a couple of mates.

Will be my first 'tour' on a bike and the other lads, who are touring old hands, have been like "oooh, make sure there's plenty of life in the tyres, brake pads and chain, don't want to have to change them half way through the trip, service the bike, change the oil, make sure you've got a paddock stand, socket set, chain lube 2 quarts of oil, spark plugs, spare piston, in your backpack etc".

Trip should apparently involve 1,000 to 1,500 miles.

Seemed like a waste to junk these tyres and waste 300 quid with only 2k on them and when they look fine to me. Chain and brake pads look fine as well.

But the comments from the other lads are stressing me out.

My feeling is that these'll be fine and just to go with it...

Why is 1,000 miles in France materially different from 1,000 in the UK? The damn bike is a year old and was only serviced in June!

They're winding me up, aren't they...

:rolleyes:

yeah, don't worry about it. The majority of the miles are likely to be getting there and back aren't they easy miles for the tyres to soak up and all the decent riding will be on the edges of the tyres anyway.... easy!

komp

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on September 15, 2015, 12:51:56 PM
To be fair Komp, your rear at the end of your latest jaunt had probably done 500 miles too many!!!

almost certainly, I suspect did more like 4.5k on that rear
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Millhouse

Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on September 15, 2015, 11:29:31 AM
If it wears out just buy a tyre in France. it's not like it's the back of beyond. Don't panic, just enjoy the trip.

Just don't try and get them on a weekend, bunch of workshy garlic munchers don't like working on weekends...

:rofl:
Life is a contact sport,  you'll be needing rule #5

Jonesy

Ordered and recieved a genny cover gasket, and oil filter...

mc101

2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Bullet

Quote from: Millhouse on September 15, 2015, 06:19:16 PM
Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on September 15, 2015, 11:29:31 AM

Just don't try and get them on a weekend, bunch of workshy garlic munchers don't like working on weekends...

:rofl:

Quite right too, I dont bloody work on weekends either  :tongue:

tucola

Quoteyep tyres will be fine
the 899 is a perfect tourer ;)
it will be awesome

This is exactly how it worked out.

Cracking trip!