Siezed sump plug

Started by DaveH, March 02, 2014, 05:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveH

Ah, the joys of 'preloved' bikes!

First task, as always was to change the oil and filter and had a wee 5 minutes spare, so set about it...stalled at first hurdle in that I cannot get the sump plug to budge and it looks like the previous owner couldn't either as it is a bit chewed already.

Any hints and tips as to how best to proceed? The lower frame rail prevents use of a socket and therefore impact driver, though I am not sure if an impact driver would be advisable on an ally sump?

Cheers

Dave

ash

You are saying you can't get a socket on at all ?

I've got rachet ring spanners from Halfords which are pretty good.

I'd be inclined to nip it up a smidge to break the seal, and then slacken it off
Use a 12 pointed socket if you can get in there and make a point of replacing the plug with a new one

I'm guessing that it takes a 14mm socket ?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_208335_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Did you get this sorted ? I would try a 6 point socket rather than a 12 point socket, that's if you can get a socket on. Can you get a pair of stilsons on it ? 

DaveH

Yup, got it tonight, cheers; six point sockets, but not great fit as bolt came pre-chewed, but no room to get bar and socket on, tried ring spanner then brake pipe spanner all slipped and couldn't get great angle with mole grips.

Took exhaust off, which was a doddle, thankfully, better angle with mole grips done up rft, couple of taps with a hammer and it released! :-D :-D

Quote from: DaveH on March 03, 2014, 10:52:25 PM
Yup, got it tonight, cheers; six point sockets, but not great fit as bolt came pre-chewed, but no room to get bar and socket on, tried ring spanner then brake pipe spanner all slipped and couldn't get great angle with mole grips.

Took exhaust off, which was a doddle, thankfully, better angle with mole grips done up rft, couple of taps with a hammer and it released! :-D :-D

Nice one. :thumbright:    New sump plug i hope.

DaveH

Yup, ordered it on sunday :thumbright: