Beemer Twins - Boxers or F800s

Started by DaveH, October 24, 2016, 03:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveH

Bit of a virtual tyre kicking, but anyone any experiences with these machines?

Loved by wee ER6, it was just a wee it down on power and the only other Twin that has decent power (that I also like), non sports, is the shiver 750.. until I remebered the beemers.

F800S/F800R gets a good right up, but also like the look of the R1100S, especially the Boxer Cup - HP2 would be lovely, but unlikely

Some good, but some mixed reviews, also curious about the belt drive on the F800S and the torque reaction and gears shifts.

I did have a cx500 back in the day and a vague recollection that there was some different reaction within the suspesion to acceleration/deceleration in corners in particular.

Had thought of the TDM, but it only has 10bhp more than the Kwak and was thinking that beemers might be more reliable than Italian twins.

Alzo

I think a Boxer derived bike would have you bored within days...the latest watercooled 1200s aint half bad...but still run out of puff quickly and are agricultural ( aka Character).
As for the 800  parallel twin...my only experience was being behind Fordy on the Glencoe road and being pleasantly surprised at the turn of pace it had for what it was.
My 2p.

DaveH

And valued it is! :cool:

Wasn't sure about the boxer, the bhp and torque numbers seem to be in the ballpark, but a fair bit could be lost through the drive.

Confident the 800 twin engine would be fun, but still...

Jarse

My only thought is if you enjoyed the ER6 then the 800 could be a more than worthy replacement.

As Alzo says, Fordy never was slow on his.

Green_Ninja

Rode the Beemer 800 FS (half faired one with belt drive) was nice to ride to be honest, fair bit of poke (very flat torque and power delivery so not exciting) comfy, good handling and brakes, reckon it would sound good with an aftermarket can/system on.

DaveH

Cheers for the input guys. Forgot it was a beemer Fordy had, not a triumph :oops:

Manic636

The 800 is a decent engine, f800st is a decent bike to ride and as already said Fordy was never slow on the gs.. belt drive works well and makes things smoother than a chain.. I considered one until I settled on the Z

DaveH

Well, the deed has been done. Bike collected today, 200 miles done for the return trip, including the beeftub. The right bike, if not the preferred manufacturer, but it is basically an up market, comfier, more powerful, ER6F

Manic636

Looks good, like the colour, should keep you entertained for a while

Alzo

Plenty poke...plenty fun. Enjoy.   ;)

Jarse

The new manufacturer of choice for the Ninjas it would seem.

Nice bike, enjoy.

Will you be at the rideout?  :moto:

David W

Congratulations in getting rid of the ER6 and not being suckered into getting one of those horrible Ninja 650 replacement things!
:)

komp

KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Lord Danoir the first

I really like them.... perfect road bike.......

Raydial

Congrats mate! Looks tidy! And seems like I'll be in the minority, not being on a Beemer!  :shocked: